[comp.mail.misc] Internet -> Sprintmail/Telenet systems

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (10/26/90)

  If you need to send mail to a user of any of the Sprintmail based
  systems such as TELEMAIL, Omnet, GTE Mail, NASAMAIL or GSFCMail the
  following format will work (roughly following RFC-822):

FOR PRIVATE SYSTEMS (like NASAMAIL, GSFCMAIL):

/PN=fullname/ADMD=TELEMAIL/PRMD=private domain/O=organization/C=US
   /@SPRINT.COM
                                or
/DD.UN=username/ADMD=TELEMAIL/PRMD=private domain/O=organization/C=US
   /@SPRINT.COM

FOR PUBLIC SYSTEMS (like TELEMAIL, OMNET):

/PN=fullname/ADMD=TELEMAIL/O=organization/C=US/@SPRINT.COM
                                or
/DD.UN=username/ADMD=TELEMAIL/O=organization/C=US/@SPRINT.COM

  <fullname> is the firstname, middle initial (optional), lastname as
  as determined by the foreign system's DIRECTORY, seperated by periods.
                          (ex. JOHN.R.SMITH)
  This information is best gotten directly from the recipient (or wait
  for X.500 !)

  <username> is the username of the recipient on the foreign system.
                          (ex. JSMITH, JRSMITH, J.SMITH)

  NOTE:   - Do not use the '<' and '>' around fullname and username.
          - Because mail differs from machine to machine on the
            Internet, extra header info may be required.   (ex. SMTP%)

///Dave Weissman at Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA - Code 543.0/LAN

In article <3737@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
> /PN=fullname/ADMD=TELEMAIL/PRMD=private domain/O=organization/C=US
>    /@SPRINT.COM

Excuse me... would it bother you very much if I ran away screaming in horror
at this point?

(walks off mumbling)

(let's see... if I hack smail to recognise sprint.com and convert something
 like fullname@private_domain.organisation.sprint.com into this..., then my
 users at least won't have to worry about it...)

(and people thought the %-hack was bad!)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (10/28/90)

In article <+RP695G@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <3737@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>> /PN=fullname/ADMD=TELEMAIL/PRMD=private domain/O=organization/C=US
>>    /@SPRINT.COM
>Excuse me... would it bother you very much if I ran away screaming in horror
>at this point?

Not me...
While I generally disagree with various knee-jerk OSI flamers (Phil Karn in
particular), this X.400 abortion is...shall we say...suboptimal.

>(let's see... if I hack smail to recognise sprint.com and convert something
> like fullname@private_domain.organisation.sprint.com into this..., then my
> users at least won't have to worry about it...)

Talk to the good folks at nasamail.nasa.gov...I believe they did exactly
that, if only for NASAMAIL.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (10/30/90)

In article <4246@lib.tmc.edu>, jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes...
^
^Not me...
^While I generally disagree with various knee-jerk OSI flamers (Phil Karn in
^particular), this X.400 abortion is...shall we say...suboptimal.
^
^>(let's see... if I hack smail to recognise sprint.com and convert something
^> like fullname@private_domain.organisation.sprint.com into this..., then my
^> users at least won't have to worry about it...)
^
^Talk to the good folks at nasamail.nasa.gov...I believe they did exactly
^that, if only for NASAMAIL.
^--

If you are referring to the mailer at Ames (POSTMAN), although the
addressing is easier than through Sprint's gateway, it is extremely
slow (I've seen 12 to 18 HOURS!).  I have implemented shortcuts on the
SPRINTMAIL side (SITE ALIAS), but not on the Internet side.

///Dave Weissman at Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA - Code 543.0/LAN
   SPAN address is   ZAPHOD::DWEISSMAN or SDCDCL::DWEISSMAN
   TCP-IP address is dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov or @zaphod.gsfc.nasa.gov
   Sprintnet's X.400 at (C:USA,A:TELEMAIL,P:GSFC,FN:DAVID,SN:WEISSMAN)

   (This area free of fake, profound sayings by semi-obscure philosophers,
    writers or deep characters from prose you were forced to read in
    high-school and college....especially no KANT, WILDE, or ASIMOV)