[comp.mail.misc] FIAN online

dlv@CUNYVMS1.GC.CUNY.EDU (Dimitri Vulis) (11/03/90)

Regarding Bob Prohazka's query (sorry! lost your original message),
it appears that FIAN (Physical Institute of the Academy of Sciences,
USSR) is reachable by e-mail. I don't know about its sibling IOFAN
(Institute of General Physics). Here's a very interesting message:
---
>From: peg@tommy.velham.su
>Subject: send mail to FIAN
>To: dlv@CUNYVMS1.BITNET

Dear Dimitri,
  We have mututal e-mail friends.  I work with Mike Cole from UCSD.  But
I am now in Moscow and I have just witnessed the speedy hookup of FIAN
to e-mail, via RELCOM.  I hope that you have time to send some
encouragement and information to them.  It was an amazing thing to see
the way that Alexandra Belyaeva could get Andrew Poskacheev from FIAN
together with Valery BArdin and Aleksey Soldatov from RELCOm in her kitchen
on Sunday afternoon, then, on Sunday night they were bussing over passwords
and arrangements, and last night (Wednesday) I got my first e-mail from
FIAN!  (They have a Decnet, a bunch of VAX machines with lots of terminals
over the Institute, so this one connection means a bunch of people.  Plus,
dear people that they are, I heard a rumor today that they were thinking
of putting in a "host" machine so that people who had little machines like
Pravetz and Apple II's or could dial in and get on-line!)
Anyhow, if you or any of your colleagues sent mail to
    andy<at sign>stack.fian.msk.su
for particular physicists at FIAN/Lebedev it would help to start it off
with a bang and gain institutional support.
Peg Griffin (usually at UCSD, now at IPAN/AN, Moscow for a few months)
---
I guess, those who know someone at FIAN ough to send them a congratulatory
note. :)

Dimitri Vulis