[comp.mail.misc] Sendmail question

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (02/23/88)

	I'm just starting to learn my way around sendmail (does every 4bsd
site have to go through this ?) and stumbled across a problem that I can't
figure out, short of plunging into full-time debugging.

	We have a local ethernet, and our main machine, RNA, has UUCP
connections and ARPAnet access via the Rockefeller campus machine. I got just
about everything to work (including using smail/pathalias for UUCP routing)
except multihop forwarded local mail.

	If I make my personal mail machine RNA, and my accounts on say, RNB
and RNC have .forward files that redirect mail to dan@rna, if I mail to
myself from RNB to RNC, RNA's sendmail says:

	rna: I refuse to talk to myself (unavailable service).

	Apparently in the process, the destination address is rewritten to
dan@rna.rockefeller.edu (which seems fine). "Single" hop local forward works
fine (e.g. from RNB to RNA). Just mailing from any machine to
dan@rna.rockefeller.edu works fine. Everything works fine except this multihop
forwarding.

	I know the message is in the sendmail code that tries to open a TCP
connection, but I can't understand how RNA's sendmail ever gets there. In the
sendmail.cf, there are rules to catch local mail and use the local mailer. In
desperation, I commented out in sendmail.cf every instance of $#ether and
$#tcp, as well as those mailers, the only mailers that use the IPC channel, and
still the problem occurs exactly as before.

	I therefore concluded that there was some other way that sendmail was
deciding to use IPC/TCP instead of local mail, bypassing the sendmail.cf
completely. Am I all wet ? What am I missing ?

	Thanks.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o
				Dept. Neurobiology	212-570-7671
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.edu
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.edu

wendt@segovia.CS.ColoState.Edu (alan l wendt) (03/08/89)

I'm trying to set up my .forward file so that it does a few
things for me.

It would route some mailing list messages
to files instead of putting them in the /usr/spool/mail/wendt.

It would check the subject lines so that students can check in
their assignments by mailing them to me, have the assignment
compiled and verified, and mail back a reply to the student.

And the rest of the stuff wants to get put in /usr/spool/mail/wendt.
The sensible thing to do with the rest of the stuff is to pipe
it back into sendmail, with a flag saying not to do forwarding,
but I can't find such a flag on sendmail.  Suggestions anyone?

Thanks
Alan Wendt

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (03/08/89)

In comp.mail.misc, alan l wendt writes:
>And the rest of the stuff wants to get put in /usr/spool/mail/wendt.
>The sensible thing to do with the rest of the stuff is to pipe
>it back into sendmail, with a flag saying not to do forwarding,
>but I can't find such a flag on sendmail.  Suggestions anyone?

[ Why was this in comp.emacs? ]
[ I've directed followups to comp.mail.sendmail. ]

My sendmail man page (SunOS 4.0) describes a -n flag that means "don't do
aliasing" -- I'm not sure whether aliasing is construed to include per-user
forwarding, but I think I recall from the sendmail source that they're
handled in the same place, so maybe.

You might also be able to quote the recipient name by preceding it with
a backslash.  At least, if sendmail finds a name of the form '\name' in
a .forward file, it doesn't try to reforward the message.

Alternatively, instead of handing the stuff back to sendmail, you could
just feed it to /bin/mail, which will deliver it to your mailbox.  I wrote
a rule-based pattern matcher for dispatching mail based on ed-style
regular expressions in its headers, and it uses this technique to effect
final delivery for sites that use the sendmail / /bin/mail combination.

In fact it derives the sender's name from the message and then uses
"/bin/mail -r <sender> -d <recipient>" to force the "From " lines to
contain the right name.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder

James.Reilly@tel.vtt.fi (Jim Reilly) (11/13/90)

Hi,

I have a friend who is struggling to install mailx on his
Sys V Unix system.  He thinks he is having a problem with
his sendmail.cf file but isn't sure.  I told him I would
try to ask the net.mail.guru's for some help for him.

His basic problem is he is able to send mail to addresses such
as:
	user@ccc
but not:
	user@ccc.xxx.yyy

Also he is not able to recieve any incoming mail from the outer
world with a full domain address.  He thinks he can recieve incoming
mail from the outer world if it is of the form
	user@bbb
but not if it is a full domain address: user@aaa.bbb.ccc

We are guessing that it is a problem with his sendmail.cf
not being able to parse a full address like user@aaa.bbb.ccc.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or does anyone have
any other suggestions for him to look at ???

I will forward any e-mail replies to him, or you can
reply directly to him (different machine) at
	kallis@ccc.nersc.gov

thanks !

jim reilly
--
Internet Mailbox: 	James.Reilly@tel.vtt.fi
UUCP Mailbox:		...!{mcsun, uunet}!tel.vtt.fi!reilly

elsn4000@mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) (11/15/90)

Questions about "sendmail.cf" are better directed to

               comp.mail.sendmail

there are the gurus :)

Frank