[comp.mail.misc] Getting smail to strip local domain name..

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (11/17/90)

How do I configure smail to strip off the local domain name from the
nameserver?  That is, if I mail to a local machine, say "barfbag", then the
nameserver returns "barfbag.es.com".  However, when the mail arrives at
"barfbag" it junks it since it isn't necessarily using the name server and
doesn't realize that "barfbag" = "barfbag.es.com".  I just want to strip off
machines that fall under "es.com" and nothing else.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

In article <1990Nov16.200148.10118@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>How do I configure smail to strip off the local domain name from the
>nameserver?  That is, if I mail to a local machine, say "barfbag", then the
>nameserver returns "barfbag.es.com".  However, when the mail arrives at
>"barfbag" it junks it since it isn't necessarily using the name server and
>doesn't realize that "barfbag" = "barfbag.es.com".  I just want to strip off
>machines that fall under "es.com" and nothing else.

  Don't do it.

  smail is right, and barfbag is wrong.  Configure barfbag so that it
recognizes barfbag.es.com (as well as barfbag, if you must) as a local
address.

  The nameserver is right.  All of those hardware vendors who design mailers
with unqualified names are wrong.  They cause a significant proportion of
the bounced mail (when users outside the domain try to reply to their
unqualified addresses).

  Fix the part that is broken.  Don't break the part that is fixed just to
make the broken software happier.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940