[comp.mail.misc] Finding an e-mail address

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (11/18/90)

 In a previous article, jdk@cci632.UUCP (John Kemp) writes:
>In article <5277@lanl.gov>, antek@bigraf.tamu.edu writes:
>> I need any info how to contact the
>>
>>    Maharishi International University,  Fairfield, Iowa, USA.
>>
>> Thanks for ANY !!! help!   Antek @ Bioch.Tamu.Edu,   Bitnet: Antek @ Tambigrf
>
>  I would also like this address if anyone would be so kind. I went to high
>school there five years ago, and would very much like to get in touch with
>some of the people I grew up with. (I wouldn't be surprised if some of those
>people were still trying to pass finals.) 8-))
>  Any help would be greatly apprieciated !!!

>-John Kemp

Ok, sportsfans.  There seems to be an awful lot of requests for addresses to
various places via Internet.  It seems that the easiest way to solve this
problem is for a short tutorial on how to find an address of someplace.  Here
is how I did it:

1)  Make sure you are on a host cpu that maintains a decent set of maps.
    The following example assumes you have a Unix computer with the proper
    subdirectories set up and maintained.  This stuff works on my host, if
    you have problems on yours, ask your sysadmin what to do.

2)  Connect to the directory called /usr/spool/uumaps.  Here, you will find
    ALL the answers to your questions.  This is a list of every site your
    CPU knows about.  There are about 100 files here, and each file contains
    info on various geographical regions of earth.  For the address of the
    Mahrishi Int. University, I found the file named u.usa.ia.1, which happens
    to contain all the Internet addresses my host knows about in Iowa.

3)  This part is tricky, because you might get lucky and find exactly what you
    need, but then again there might not be a site that matches what you want.
    You sort of have to play around and find a site that is close.  This is
    what you do.
    Use an editor to edit the file (in this case, u.usa.ia.1).  This file will
    probably be read-only, as your sysadmin doesn't want you mucking around
    with his data.  If you need to, copy the desired file to your home directory
    where you can edit it.  Now, search for the place you want.  In the
    previous example, I figured that Mahrishi University wouldn't be spelled
    out in detail, so instead I searched for the name 'Fairfield', which is
    where  this site is located.  I discovered one business in that town that
    is connected to Internet, and the following:

-------
System name:     miucsv
System type:     Vax/VMS Eunice (4.3bsd); Vax 11/780
Contact person:  Dr. Gregory Guthrie
Email Address:   miucsv!guthrie
Telephone:       +1 515 472 1125
Postal Address:  Fairfield, IA 52556-2091
Long/Lat:        41 01 N / 91 59 W city
Remarks:
Author & date:   jeannie@uunet.UU.NET (Jeannie Hill); Tue May 16 15:57:13 EDT 1989
News links:

#

miucsv  	uunet(DEMAND)
-------

I assume this is the place you are looking for.  To get a path name from your
site to this place, use the Unix command :

   uupath miucsv

This will tell you an e-mail address that routes to that site.  In my case,
the above command provides the response:

   apple!uunet!miucsv

Just mail off a letter to uunet!miucsv!guthrie and see if you can get a
response that gives you a net.address of the person(s) you are seeking.

Hope this helps.  Is this task detailed in the FAQ for this newsgroup?

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.uucp
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

sanwalk@moore.com (Roy Sanwalka) (11/22/90)

     I hate to be the one to bring this up, but it seems that some people here
are assuming that we are all running UUCP on our local machines and keeping
complete (and up to date) copies of the maps.  THIS IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE!

     From experience, I can tell you that most large sites (eg. anywhere with
more than a couple of machines on a net) usually has one host set aside as the
mail server.  This eliminated the need to keep the UUCP maps on all of the
machines seperately, not to mention the Internet hosts table for Internet
sites.  Also, this approach allows you to use more efficient methods for mail
transfer (SMTP over Ethernet) than UUCP.

     So, in order to locate a given place, this first thing to do is find
out which machine at your sites is the mail server.  Next, try using nslookup
if you're looking for an Internet site, as it is faster and more reliable
than the UUCP maps.  And lastly, try the maps if all else fails.

     That's all for now, "sportsfans"...

--
|     A. Roy Sanwalka   a.k.a.   sanwalk@ecf.{toronto.edu|utoronto.ca}     |
|   #include <std_disclaim.h>   sanwalk@moore.com, sanwalk@robohack.uucp   |