[comp.mail.misc] austin.ibm.com

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/22/90)

In article <4279@awdprime.UUCP> dcheney@dcheney.austin.ibm.com (David J. Cheney) writes:
   An important point needs to be made about mail: many people currently have
	   <name>@<machine>.austin.ibm.com
   in their ~/.signature files.  If <machine>.austin.ibm.com is not
   pingable, you CANNOT successfully deliver mail to <name> at or via
   that machine,

   The best way to find out mail paths to a specific user is to call
   the person and ask.  We are evaluating alternative approaches to
   solving this problem.  IBM Austin employees without approved nodes
   have been asked to correct their signature files.

The problem isn't .signature files (that users control), it's their
mail and news headers (that the system administrators control).  If my
friend sends me mail specifying "From:
whoever@machine.austin.ibm.com" and there's no Reply-To: line in the
headers, then my mailer *must* attempt delivery to the machine named
in the From: line.  If I receive mail from a user, it's reasonable
(and normal practice in the rest of the Internet) to assume that I can
reply to the mail without bothering to call him on the telephone.

If you're going to have a policy that selectively isolates machines,
then please completely implement the policy.  Don't allow your
machines to generate unreplyable message headers.  If a machine cannot
accept messages, than don't let messages from that machine leak into
the world outside your wall.

See RFC1123 (Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Application and
Support), section 5.3.7(D) on mail gatewaying (which is what you're
doing, selectively, between IBM's internal environment and the
Internet):

         (D)  The gateway MUST ensure that all header fields of a
              message that it forwards into the Internet meet the
              requirements for Internet mail.  In particular, all
              addresses in "From:", "To:", "Cc:", etc., fields must be
              transformed (if necessary) to satisfy RFC-822 syntax, and
              they must be effective and useful for sending replies.

Mail leaking from non-approved hosts at austin.ibm.com violates the
last phrase in the last sentence of that paragraph.

I don't want to flame IBM and wave RFCs at you, but if you're going to
bring up the subject of your nonconformant mailers in a public forum,
then you've set yourself up as fair game.  I've redirected followups
to comp.mail.misc.

And, lacking a way to get private mail to rangoon.austin.ibm.com,
would you please convey my thanks to Win Bo for his congratulations on
the birth of my son?  Lauri, Andy, and I hope that he, Than, and Ryan
are also doing well, but I have been unable to respond privately to
his gracious note, conveyed to me via private mail.  See how silly the
effects of selective isolation policies can be?

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (11/22/90)

In article <4279@awdprime.UUCP> dcheney@dcheney.austin.ibm.com (David J. Cheney) writes:

>The best way to find out mail paths to a specific user (AWD has for some
>time had the uucp mail path:
>  @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!<machine>.austin.ibm.com!<user>
>) is to call the person and ask.  We are evaluating alternative approaches
>to solving this problem.

Can someone please explain to me why IBM doesn't simply advertise
MX records which point to cs.utexas.edu for all these "internal"
hosts?   I will happily forward all such mail via the !-path above.
This would go a long way toward fixing the wretched state of
email to IBM Austin.  All those mail and news headers would suddenly
start working!  Heck, I could save several hours a month by not
having to explain to dozens of people why their mail to IBM bounces.
(David's suggestion to phone the person notwithstanding, my mailbox
tells me that many folks simply ask <postmaster@cs.utexas.edu>).

I make this suggestion annually, by the way.  Who knows, maybe I'll
get lucky one of these years.

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (11/24/90)

In article <14941@cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:
>In article <4279@awdprime.UUCP> dcheney@dcheney.austin.ibm.com (David J. Cheney) writes:

>>The best way to find out mail paths to a specific user (AWD has for some
>>time had the uucp mail path:
>>  @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!<machine>.austin.ibm.com!<user>
>>) is to call the person and ask.

>Can someone please explain to me why IBM doesn't simply advertise MX
>records which point to cs.utexas.edu for all these "internal" hosts?

Perhaps they haven't yet heard about MX records and mail exchangers?
When last I looked at sendmail on AIX (on an RT a bit over a year ago)
it hadn't a clue about MX records (in addition to being rife with
severe brain damage of various sorts).

I haven't gotten around to looking on the RS/6000 yet but so far
/bin/cat is the only utility I've found so far that isn't broken
on this "new and improved" RT so I don't hold out much hope.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (11/25/90)

In article <31914@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:

>Perhaps they haven't yet heard about MX records and mail exchangers?
>When last I looked at sendmail on AIX (on an RT a bit over a year ago)
>it hadn't a clue about MX records (in addition to being rife with
>severe brain damage of various sorts).

You are correct about the RT, its sendmail is very old and does not have
MX support. Sendmail on the 6000, however definitely does have MX, even
though it is still based on the old code. AIX 1.2 (that's 370 and PS/2)
as of a couple of updates back has a pure 5.61 port that I did. Don't
know if the 6000 folk will pick that up or not.

Basically I think its more an administrative lack of experience than not
having the code to do it.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not LCC nor IBM.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

smoot@cs.utexas.edu (Smoot Carl-Mitchell) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov24.175319.26238@turnkey.tcc.com> jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>You are correct about the RT, its sendmail is very old and does not have
>MX support. Sendmail on the 6000, however definitely does have MX, even
>though it is still based on the old code. AIX 1.2 (that's 370 and PS/2)
>as of a couple of updates back has a pure 5.61 port that I did. Don't
>know if the 6000 folk will pick that up or not.
Which is silly, since I ported a reasonably up to date version of sendmail with
MX support to an old RT and used it successfully as a mail gateway, until it
was replaced by a Sun.  Really was not that hard to do.

Maybe someone will do the same with the IDA Sendmail code, so RS6000 users
will have a reasonable implementation.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell, Texas Internet Consulting
smoot@tic.com, smoot@cs.utexas.edu

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (11/25/90)

smoot@cs.utexas.edu (Smoot Carl-Mitchell) writes:

>Maybe someone will do the same with the IDA Sendmail code, so RS6000 users
>will have a reasonable implementation.

'Tis done except that it won't work with sendmail.fc files.  It will work if
the system-supplied malloc.o and getpwent.o functions are replaced (the latter
has the entry point for the kernel malloc linked in).

A new release of the 5.65+IDA is due out next week.  It has a raft of
portability improvements and now compiles with gcc requiring only
"-fpcc-struct-return".

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910