[comp.mail.misc] MMDF under SCO UNIX

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (11/20/90)

I'm about to switch to SCO UNIX from SCO XENIX and am a bit wary of the
new MMDF mail delivery system.  I am currently using smail 2.5 for my
mail delivery and pathalias is used to create a 'paths' file for mail
routing.

I assume that since MMDF is a bit intelligent as far as routing goes,
I will not have to use smail under SCO UNIX.

What I need is confirmation of this, and/or some help on how to configure
MMDF for use with pathalias output for mail routing.  This is basically
the only thing holding me from switching to SCO UNIX at the moment as I
feed a few sites for mail/news and i'd like the switchover to be as
smooth as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Aris Stathakis

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (11/27/90)

In article <2283@tabbs.UUCP> aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:
>I'm about to switch to SCO UNIX from SCO XENIX and am a bit wary of the
>new MMDF mail delivery system.  I am currently using smail 2.5 for my
>mail delivery and pathalias is used to create a 'paths' file for mail
>routing.
>
>I assume that since MMDF is a bit intelligent as far as routing goes,
>I will not have to use smail under SCO UNIX.

Yes.. MMDF is more than a bit intelligent as far as routing goes ..

The table format which MMDF expects is a bit different from the
output from pathalias.  In the MMDF IIb-update 43 sources there
are two different software solutions to the problem of generating
UUCP channel & domain tables.  SCO delivers one of the solutions
(mine) but leaves it in a slightly broken state -- I wrote the program
on a BSD machine & didn't think about long file names.  On most SysV
systems the names silently truncate and hopefully they don't collide
when they do.  On SCO/Unix they enforce the 14 character limit & the
program dies.

You can find the source in either the update 43 source tree or in
comp.sources.unix archives.  Fixing it to use shorter file names should
be pretty darn easy.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>