[comp.mail.misc] BSMTP and Re: UK address ordering and the JNT

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/26/90)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In eunet.misc, article <1990Nov22.174935.28743@specialix.co.uk>,
>  jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:

>< A far more important issue is that of X.400 addresses which when
>< encapsulated in uucp using `/' as a delimiter get bounced by the
>< security code in HDB uucp.

> Install smail 3.1.19, and use BSMTP as transport.

You also have to persuade ukc (UK national backbone) to support b-smtp.

UKC runs MMDF.  I doubt anyone could get them to change their mailer
except possibly to PP sometime in the future.  Then again, PP is MMDF III
isn't it ? :-)

Has anyone done BSMTP support for MMDF ?  Also, please be aware that ukc
runs update #21 MMDF (probably with local hacks :-)
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/27/90)

<
< > Install smail 3.1.19, and use BSMTP as transport.
<
< You also have to persuade ukc (UK national backbone) to support b-smtp.
<
< Has anyone done BSMTP support for MMDF ?  Also, please be aware that ukc
< runs update #21 MMDF (probably with local hacks :-)

I have; however, it's basically hacked-together, consisting of two Perl
script, one small program to get MMDF to format a message for a particular
channel, and some library patches to MMDF to make said small program work
without segemntation faults. The receiving side can be used as is, however.
(Warning: I don't have the time right now to mail out scripts or answer
questiond for them, so please only ask if you really need it.)

One other remark: smail 3.1.19 also doesn't like /s in addresses.
(Someone else please post an appropriate patch; I'm using MMDF.)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/