[comp.mail.misc] MMDF domain troubles

sys0001@dircon.uucp (Ben Knox) (11/22/90)

I'm having troubles with getting MMDF working.
The main problem is summed up as follows:

In my root domain file, I've got an entry:

com:	ukc.ac.uk

In my uucp.chn channel file, I've got:

ukc.ac.uk:	ukc!%s
ukc.UUCP:	ukc!%s

and in my uucp.dom domain file, I've got:

ukc:	ukc.UUCP

(My neighbouring site is ukc).

If I use 'checkaddr -w abc@com', the address is found OK and the
message: queueing for uucp via 'ukc.ac.uk': 'asd@ukc.ac.uk'

Then, if I try: checkaddr -w abc@zzz.com, I get:
Bad address
(BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "abc@zzz.com".

I would have thought that as 'com' is in my root domain the abc@zzz.com
should have been routed to 'ukc.ac.uk'...it seems to work if I only put
the domain name, but not if I add a host name to it. The same happens
with other top level domains mentioned in the root domain file.

Am I misunderstanding how this should all be working?

I currently do not have a badhosts channel defined. If I do this,
and set it to 'ukc.ac.uk', then the 'checkaddr -w' message
gives: asd@zzz.com: queueing for badhosts: via '': 'asd@zzz.com'.
I'd have thought that the via string should be ukc.ac.uk?

Any comments and suggestions about this would be most appreciated.

Replies by mail, please.

By the way, I'm using MMDF IIb Update: 43.

--
sys0001@dircon.UUCP   or   sys0001%dircon@ukc.ac.uk

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov22.135312.29693@dircon.uucp> sys0001@dircon.uucp (Ben Knox) writes:
>In my root domain file, I've got an entry:
>
>com:	ukc.ac.uk
>
>In my uucp.chn channel file, I've got:
>
>ukc.ac.uk:	ukc!%s
>ukc.UUCP:	ukc!%s
>
>and in my uucp.dom domain file, I've got:
>
>ukc:	ukc.UUCP
>
>(My neighbouring site is ukc).
>
>If I use 'checkaddr -w abc@com', the address is found OK and the
>Then, if I try: checkaddr -w abc@zzz.com, I get:
>Bad address
>(BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "abc@zzz.com".

I'll bet you're not specifying "flags=route" for your "top" domain table.
This is a feature new in update 43 ...

The way this works -- when submit is searching around for the place to
send the mail & there isn't an exact for the domain name it has in any
of the tables it starts stripping names off the left end of the name.
For "zzz.com" it tries "zzz.com", fails, then tries "com".  Hmm.. don't
remember if this also requires "flags=partial", but it's documented in
the admin guide.

If the name it finds is not a match for the name it has then it
generates a route, like you're expecting.  In this case

	@ukc.ac.uk:user@zzz.com

>I currently do not have a badhosts channel defined. If I do this,
>and set it to 'ukc.ac.uk', then the 'checkaddr -w' message
>gives: asd@zzz.com: queueing for badhosts: via '': 'asd@zzz.com'.
>I'd have thought that the via string should be ukc.ac.uk?

Put "host=ukc.ac.uk" in the MCHN for your badhosts channel.  This
tells the badhosts channel (works for badusers channel too) which
host to send the mail to ..

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/27/90)

In article <8355@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

> Hmm.. don't
> remember if this also requires "flags=partial",

Yes, it does as of some patchlevel post 21.  Be warned that some major
UK sites (particularly UCL and UKC) distribute MMDF at update #21,
and any help they will give in the form of sample tables will reflect
that.  The changes in behaviour (in particular, the new non-defaulting
of flags=partial) have caught a few people out in the past, and no
doubt will do so again.

Ronald.
(still using smail 2.5, sigh)

--