[comp.mail.misc] Help! Strange people are getting email I send out.

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) (12/07/90)

I run a mailing list, which currently has about 170 addresses in it.
I handle this by passing a file with all the addresses in it to
/usr/lib/sendmail on a slightly overloaded Sun 3/280 running SunOS 3.5.
(Please don't hassle me about underpowered machines or stone age
operating systems. :-)

The problem is that every dozen or so postings, I get email from some
random person asking why they got a posting from the mailing list.
These people are not on the mailing list at all, and I have no idea
why they are getting postings.  As far as I know, no one has gotten
a posting more than once.  Does anyone know what is causing this?

Is there some information on running large mailing lists?  (Is 170
addresses a large list?)

Thanks for any help.

Joshua Levy (joshua@atherton.com)  (408) 734-9822

In article <33848@joshua.athertn.Atherton.COM> joshua@Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) writes:

>I run a mailing list, which currently has about 170 addresses in it.

>The problem is that every dozen or so postings, I get email from some
>random person asking why they got a posting from the mailing list.

  Most likely some of your recipient addresses are themselves mailing
lists which redistribute the mail.  If they send you a complete copy
of the mail you might be able to narrow this down by looking at the
'Received:' headers.  Then if you and the suspect destination are on
Internet, you can 'telnet' to the 'smtp' port and use the 'EXPN'
command to expand the address you are sendingto.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) (12/08/90)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> joshua@Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) writes:
> >
> >I run a mailing list, which currently has about 170 addresses in it.
>
> >The problem is that every dozen or so postings, I get email from some
> >random person asking why they got a posting from the mailing list.
>
>   Most likely some of your recipient addresses are themselves mailing
> lists which redistribute the mail.

I asked the list if they were doing this, and no one spoke up.  Furthermore,
the random people who get the postings only seem to get one each, so I
do not think that redistrubution is the problem.   Also, only one or two
of the wrong addresses were at sites where someone else was getting the
mailing list.  If the problem were redistrubtion, I'd expect more at sites
already on the list.

> If they send you a complete copy
> of the mail you might be able to narrow this down by looking at the
> 'Received:' headers.  Then if you and the suspect destination are on
> Internet, you can 'telnet' to the 'smtp' port and use the 'EXPN'
> command to expand the address you are sendingto.

Unforntuately, I'm not on the Internet.  Also, people do not seem to save
the wrong postings they get, and since they never get a second posting, I
have never captured the envelope of one of these wrong postings.  Sigh.

Joshua Levy
(408) 734-9822
joshua@atherton.com