[comp.mail.misc] Telnetting to England via NSFNET-RELAY??

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (12/13/90)

Greetings,

I would like to TELNET to a site in England for which I have no Internet
number. I looked in the file HOSTS.TXT and HOSTS.INTERNET, but the node I was
looking for wasn't there. The address is VAXA.YORK.AC.UK. I beleive that it is
on the JANET, and may not be accessible from Internet. The closest I have been
able to come is the NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (128.86.8.6). When I TELNET to there, I
get a Login: prompt. Unfortunately, I can't do anything once I am there. Is
there a way to get from the NSFNET-RELAY node to VAXA.YORK.AC.UK without having
actually to log on?

Thanks,
Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST (Bitnet Address)

meggers@mothra.nts.uci.edu (Mark Eggers) (12/14/90)

VAXA.YORK.AC.UK does not appear to be directly connected to the NSFnet, but
receives mail via an MX record.  The connection to VAXA.YORK.AC.UK from
nsfnet-relay.ac.uk is probably made by the Colored Book protocols, and I
don't think that there is any telnet gateway (could be wrong, though).

/mde/

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (12/14/90)

In article <11393.2766c031@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>I would like to TELNET to a site in England for which I have no Internet
>number. I looked in the file HOSTS.TXT and HOSTS.INTERNET, but the node I was
>looking for wasn't there. The address is VAXA.YORK.AC.UK. I beleive that it is
>on the JANET, and may not be accessible from Internet. The closest I have been
>able to come is the NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (128.86.8.6). When I TELNET to there, I
>get a Login: prompt. Unfortunately, I can't do anything once I am there. Is
>there a way to get from the NSFNET-RELAY node to VAXA.YORK.AC.UK without having
>actually to log on?

No. Not as far as I know. Not unless you want to spend a fortune in phone
bills.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/14/90)

meggers@mothra.nts.uci.edu (Mark Eggers) writes:

> The connection to VAXA.YORK.AC.UK from
> nsfnet-relay.ac.uk is probably made by the Colored Book protocols, and I
> don't think that there is any telnet gateway (could be wrong, though).

If you're a qualified user, you can get an account on nsf.ac.uk itself,
and make a triple x call from there to vaxa.york.ac.uk.  Don't ask
me what qualifies you, I don't know.  I don't have an account there.
I'm sure liaison@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk could give you the details (heh)
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)