[comp.mail.misc] Another Novice Needs sendmail Help

mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (12/12/90)

  [followup's to comp.mail.misc. This doesn't really belong in
comp.mail.sendmail. Some might think comp.mail.uucp might be more k
appropriate though -- change the followup]

In article <1990Dec8.234514.11668@vmp.com> oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) writes:
>sites just like the Internet sites and set up a not-for-profit
>nameserver just to handle the correct routing of this kind of mail.
>Thus was UUNET born.  (Can anyone fill me in on this part of UUNET
>history?)

  This was not entirely the way I understood uunet's creation.

>My personal feeling?  UUNET is a great start, but they're close to
>overloaded.  We need to start the UUCP Project all over again.
>Perhaps a not-for-profit UUNET2?

  I had also understood that there might eventually be multiple
uunet-like sites. But I don't think that making .UUCP official
is such a good idea either.
  What needs to be done is to encourage people to start registering
under their municipal domains. I understand that .us doesn't want
people registering AND having sub-domains. I really can't fanthom
the reasons for this kind of thing. It just seems silly to me. So
does .com -- what is wrong with .com.us? (Other than its length)

  You likely can't reply to the address in the From: of the post ---
I'm still waiting for the ocunix.on.ca MX to appear.

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.

In article <1990Dec12.021841.4983@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca> mcr@fts1.UUCP writes:

>  What needs to be done is to encourage people to start registering
>under their municipal domains. I understand that .us doesn't want
>people registering AND having sub-domains. I really can't fanthom
>the reasons for this kind of thing. It just seems silly to me. So
>does .com -- what is wrong with .com.us? (Other than its length)

What is a municipal domain and why should they exist apart from
the forwarders?  It makes sense to me to make most uucp sites
subdomains of their internet forwarder so that wild-card MX's
can allow them to come and go without bothering anyone but the
forwarder.  If all the uucp sites register, the size of the
map dbm files will have to double to accomodate both the uucp
name and the domain-style name.  Why is that a good thing?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (12/15/90)

les@chinet.chi.il.us writes:
   It makes sense to me to make most uucp sites
   subdomains of their internet forwarder so that wild-card MX's
   can allow them to come and go without bothering anyone but the
   forwarder.

I think you misunderstand the administrative intent of MX RRs.  By
providing service to something.org, I am explicitly stating that I
provide a service to someone other than my own organization.
MorningStar.COM is not part of Ohio State, but I MX for them.  There
is no reason why Morning Star Technologies should be considered to be
affiliated with OSU.  Hence, a separate domain.

Even more so, for private, single machines, I really don't want them
to be considered part of my organization.  I do MX service for
galaxia.newport.ri.us and a few related systems; they are by no means
part of OSU and I don't intend to have them identified as such.

Just for grins, imagine one of the sites that have seriously
embarrassed themselves on the networks having been identified as a
subdomain of the Internet entity which feeds them.  I rather suspect
that the feed site would not take too kindly to such a suggestion.

In article <KARL.90Dec14145843@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

>I think you misunderstand the administrative intent of MX RRs.  By
>providing service to something.org, I am explicitly stating that I
>provide a service to someone other than my own organization.
>MorningStar.COM is not part of Ohio State, but I MX for them.  There
>is no reason why Morning Star Technologies should be considered to be
>affiliated with OSU.  Hence, a separate domain.

I guess so.  I thought they were mail addresses.

>Even more so, for private, single machines, I really don't want them
>to be considered part of my organization.  I do MX service for
>galaxia.newport.ri.us and a few related systems; they are by no means
>part of OSU and I don't intend to have them identified as such.

OK, then it still makes sense for an internet-uucp (or anything else)
gateway to establish a domain name just for the purpose of controlling
the namespace at the same point as the physical links.  With a
wild-card MX pointing to the forwarder, it should be possible to
add any number of addressable off-net machines without changing
anything but the forwarder's tables.  The value of this is obvious
within organizations, but not everyone "has" an organization.
This arrangement would also make invertable address re-writing
possible at the gateway assuming the off-net names forwarded by
a particular host are all unique in their native syntax.

>Just for grins, imagine one of the sites that have seriously
>embarrassed themselves on the networks having been identified as a
>subdomain of the Internet entity which feeds them.  I rather suspect
>that the feed site would not take too kindly to such a suggestion.

I don't understand this any more than I would understand my state,
city, or post office being embarrassed by their mention in the
return address on a postal letter, but I'll take your word for it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

ckd@cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (12/16/90)

les> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
Karl> karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

les> I guess so.  I thought they [MX records] were mail addresses.

Nope.  The rarely-seen "MB" or "MG" records, but not MX.  MX means "if
you have mail for xyz.com, send it to foo.bar.net, they know how to
handle it from there."

Karl> Even more so, for private, single machines, I really don't want
Karl> them to be considered part of my organization.  I do MX service
Karl> for galaxia.newport.ri.us and a few related systems; they are by
Karl> no means part of OSU and I don't intend to have them identified as
Karl> such.

les> OK, then it still makes sense for an internet-uucp (or anything else)
les> gateway to establish a domain name just for the purpose of controlling
les> the namespace at the same point as the physical links.

Why?  The domain *servers* for a domain do not have to be within that
domain.  For example, the name servers for MorningStar.COM are at Ohio
State, where the MXes are-- doesn't this "control the namespace at the
same point as the physical links"?  After all, anyone who is willing and
able to give you MX service is *probably* set up to handle domain
service for you, TOO.

les> With a wild-card MX pointing to the forwarder, it should be
les> possible to add any number of addressable off-net machines without
les> changing anything but the forwarder's tables.  The value of this is
les> obvious within organizations, but not everyone "has" an
les> organization.

Which is what foo.city.st.us is for.

Karl> Just for grins, imagine one of the sites that have seriously
Karl> embarrassed themselves on the networks having been identified as a
Karl> subdomain of the Internet entity which feeds them.  I rather suspect
Karl> that the feed site would not take too kindly to such a suggestion.

les> I don't understand this any more than I would understand my state,
les> city, or post office being embarrassed by their mention in the
les> return address on a postal letter, but I'll take your word for it.

People don't *assume* that it's your city's fault you have access to the
postal service; after all, the USPS is required to mail your letters
(assuming they're legal mail, i.e. not bombs or whatever).

However, if your stuff goes out with headers of something like
"les@chinet.uucp.very-large-u.edu," and I think you're a complete idiot
who shouldn't be allowed near any computer more powerful than an abacus,
who am I likely to write to?

"postmaster@bigsite.very-large-u.edu."

I mean, *I* don't know you're just freeloading off of them...
--
   [ Christopher Davis - <ckd@cs.bu.edu> - <..!bu.edu!cs.bu.edu!ckd> ]
    A message destined for delivery in *your* domain is fair game for

mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec13.203054.17265@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>>the reasons for this kind of thing. It just seems silly to me. So
>>does .com -- what is wrong with .com.us? (Other than its length)

>What is a municipal domain and why should they exist apart from
>the forwarders?  It makes sense to me to make most uucp sites
>subdomains of their internet forwarder so that wild-card MX's
>can allow them to come and go without bothering anyone but the
>forwarder.  If all the uucp sites register, the size of the
>map dbm files will have to double to accomodate both the uucp
>name and the domain-style name.  Why is that a good thing?

  I couldn't agree with you more --- having everyong register
a municipal domain IN THE UUCP MAPS in not a good thing. Although
one might argue that the MX databases could handle it (being
already distributed) I don't think that is good either.

>Les Mikesell
>  les@chinet.chi.il.us

  I'm not sure what you had to go through to register chinet.chi.il.us:
(I'm sure glad they didn't mandate chinet.chicago.il.us!) --- but
wouldn't it be easier if there was the one MX record pointing
*.chi.il.us to some friendly local site? (It need not be the actual
machine with the MX record)
  [I'm assuming that chinet's link to the rest of the world is some
sort of dialup link, e.g. UUCP -- you aren't actually on the Internet]
  If authority was given to the chi.il.us forwarder to create
sub-domains and they made it as easy to register site.chi.il.us as
it is to register a UUCP Zone site, the UUCP maps would go away.

  I'm beginning to find that with the Internet two telebit hops
away that there is very little point in keeping extensive maps. Unless
I can hack pathalias to favour the UUCP name when producing routes
(e.g. I have ljk = ljk.ocunix.on.ca,
sandelman.ocunix.on.ca ljk.ocunix.on.ca(DEMAND). But I want
pathalias to produce 'ljk!%s' since I'm the only one that knows that
ljk = ljk.ocunix.on.ca, but uux needs uucp names), I may just go
the route of hand building my paths file.

--

In article <CKD.90Dec15182540@bucsd.bu.edu> ckd@cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) writes:
>les> I guess so.  I thought they [MX records] were mail addresses.

>Nope.  The rarely-seen "MB" or "MG" records, but not MX.  MX means "if
>you have mail for xyz.com, send it to foo.bar.net, they know how to
>handle it from there."

OK, I meant "mail-forwarding" or "mail-handling"..

>les> OK, then it still makes sense for an internet-uucp (or anything else)
>les> gateway to establish a domain name just for the purpose of controlling
>les> the namespace at the same point as the physical links.

>Why?  The domain *servers* for a domain do not have to be within that
>domain.

For convienience mostly.  If the gateway machine controls a domain namespace
and has a wild-card MX for it, then there is no administrative overhead
involved in adding or deleting machines under that domain.  That is, the
same person who sets up the uucp login info can set up subdomain name (and
all at the same time).  Likewise, the uucp sites with appropriate software
could add their own subdomains or hide a few neighbors under their name
without bothering anyone else.

>les> With a wild-card MX pointing to the forwarder, it should be
>les> possible to add any number of addressable off-net machines without
>les> changing anything but the forwarder's tables.  The value of this is
>les> obvious within organizations, but not everyone "has" an
>les> organization.

>Which is what foo.city.st.us is for.

Conceptually perhaps but in practice subdomains under .us are not allowed
to set up additional subdomains without registering them with the top
level.  Also, you might want multiple machines with no geographical relationship
to have the same domain - or you might have a laptop with no fixed location.

>People don't *assume* that it's your city's fault you have access to the
>postal service; after all, the USPS is required to mail your letters
>(assuming they're legal mail, i.e. not bombs or whatever).
>However, if your stuff goes out with headers of something like
>"les@chinet.uucp.very-large-u.edu," and I think you're a complete idiot
>who shouldn't be allowed near any computer more powerful than an abacus,
>who am I likely to write to?
>"postmaster@bigsite.very-large-u.edu."

Does that mean that in a mail message from les@fb.com the .com domain is
somehow responsible for everything I might say? Or is there some magic
about the domain levels.

Anyway we are getting sidetracked here.  The main thing that I think
needs to be addressed is the representation of uucp names on the internet.

Consider the advice that is always seen to "get a domain name".  In what
way would making every existing uucp site get an official domain name
be different than a mechanical translation of the existing maps other
than the massive waste of manpower and time waiting for the names to be
approved and the corresponding doubling of the map size on the uucp side.
Is the name service really prepared for that many names to added without
any structure?

If the gateway machines each add one domain name to encompass the otherwise
unorganized uucp (or whatever) machines that they handle, it would make
everything else fall into place.  And the gateways would then have a
way to invert the mappings of the names between the internet and the
preferred off-net forms for the cases where that is necessary or desirable.
For sites that have some other reason to obtain their own name, this wouldn't
have any effect.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <1990Dec15.235725.19155@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca> mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

>>  les@chinet.chi.il.us

>  I'm not sure what you had to go through to register chinet.chi.il.us:
>(I'm sure glad they didn't mandate chinet.chicago.il.us!) --- but
>wouldn't it be easier if there was the one MX record pointing
>*.chi.il.us to some friendly local site? (It need not be the actual
>machine with the MX record)

I don't administer chinet and wasn't involved with getting the domain
registered.  Chicago is something of an unusual case, though, because
there is hardly any such thing as a local call here - almost every call
has a "call-unit" charge associated depending on the time and distance.
A group of people interested in news and mail got together and laid
out paths to minimize the charges, but that wasn't really related to
the domain name at all.

>  [I'm assuming that chinet's link to the rest of the world is some
>sort of dialup link, e.g. UUCP -- you aren't actually on the Internet]
>  If authority was given to the chi.il.us forwarder to create
>sub-domains and they made it as easy to register site.chi.il.us as
>it is to register a UUCP Zone site, the UUCP maps would go away.

Actually, I understand .us wanting to register sites individually,
but I would think the forwarder would want to maintain its own
namespace for any  connections that would otherwise not have a
domain name.  This could also be done by a uucp machine that
has a domain name of its own, though.  For example, I set up the
domain fb.com through uunet to cover a fairly dispersed group
of uucp machines.  There is one set of machines that all use the
same alias file, so the From: line is just user@fb.com on any
mail leaving any of these machines, but the mail transport will
also automatically resolve user@anything.fb.com by stripping off
the .fb.com and looking at what is left, so mail will actually go
to any uucp neighbor without doing anything else to set up
the name.

>  I'm beginning to find that with the Internet two telebit hops
> away that there is very little point in keeping extensive maps.

And when uunet is your forwarder, there is no reason to keep
any maps at all except your local links and the things you need
to get around any non-reversable paths.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us