[comp.mail.misc] configuring MMDF on SCO UNIX V/386

jrp@rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) (12/14/90)

Having found the manual lacking, I am ready to appeal to the NET for help.

How do I configure MMDF to send mail with unresolved addresses to
another machine?  I see the mention of badhosts and the root domain, but
there is no example files or a good explanation of what to do.

Can anyone help?

jim
--
Jim Pickering c/o Technical Solutions   || (north) ..csustan!polyslo!rducky!jrp
P.O. Box 1045                           || (south) ..sdsu!polyslo!rducky!jrp

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.220521.12840@rducky.uucp> jrp@rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) writes:

>How do I configure MMDF to send mail with unresolved addresses to
>another machine?  I see the mention of badhosts and the root domain, but
>there is no example files or a good explanation of what to do.

A three-part explanation of the setup in words of one syllable was posted
to sco-list@uunet.uu.net some time ago by a helpful person at SCO.  It
shows how to configure SCO UNIX 3.2.1 for a uucp connected site/network
and a TCP/IP connected site/system plus changes in the way the daemons
are started for SCO UNIX 3.2.2.  I can mail copies if they are needed.

It works - my ODT 1.0 box is exchanging mail with the IU CS VAX 8800
using SMTP.

Further information is available in the unx167 update (apparently -
I haven't looked) and in the SCO UNIX 3.2.2 system administrator's
manual.  The diffs for MMDF II level 43 have also been posted; the sources
for that version contain numerous examples and copious documentation (it's
available via ftp from UUNET or uucp from their 900 number; other anonymous
uucp sites, including mine, have it.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec13.220521.12840@rducky.uucp> jrp@rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) writes:
>Having found the manual lacking, I am ready to appeal to the NET for help.

The full manual & up-to-date source is available via anonymous f-t-p
from louie.udel.edu, uunet.uu.net, and gatekeeper.dec.com.

>How do I configure MMDF to send mail with unresolved addresses to
>another machine?  I see the mention of badhosts and the root domain, but
>there is no example files or a good explanation of what to do.

MCHN name=badhosts, que=badhosts, host="some-host.dom.ain"
	pgm=smtp, tbl=smtp, ap=822, mod=reg

For example.

You pick out the host you're going to bombard with all this
mail you don't know what to do with.  The "pgm=" and "tbl=" tags
will have to match up with how you normally reach that host.
In the example it will use the SMTP channel program and the
channel table for the normal smtp channel (assuming that table
is named "smtp", I dunno how SCO names it..).

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

bevans@tanus.oz.au (Brian Evans Esq) (12/22/90)

jrp@rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) writes:
>Having found the manual lacking, I am ready to appeal to the NET for help.
>
>How do I configure MMDF to send mail with unresolved addresses to
>another machine?  I see the mention of badhosts and the root domain, but
>there is no example files or a good explanation of what to do.

Jim,

What I have done in the past and this seems to work is to edit the badhosts
entry in the mmdftailor file.  You should set this entry to your upstream site
so mail that can not be routed on your machine can be passed to your up stream or
equivilent site for delivery.  Don't forget to run dbmbuild to set your files
up.

Also, I assume that you are on a UUCP connection to the site, mail for hosts
that can not be reached directly from your site should pass via uucp to your
upstream site.  You will also need to edit the file /usr/mmdf/table/root.dom.
Take a look at this file anyway.

Hope this helps,
Regards,

--
 _--_|\        Brian Evans      Internet: bevans@tanus.oz.au
/      \       P.O Box 232    Compu$erve: 72500,1355 | Fax: +61 3 412-1551