[comp.mail.misc] how to use mail with preformatted file

todd@Quotron.COM (Todd_Booth) (12/18/90)

1) Is there a direct way with mail or sendmail to mail files such as the following?

To: (comment) user
Subject: subject goes here

msg goes here.

I've done this with mh post, but don't want to install/maintain, ... mh.

2) Is there a way to include comments in an alias file?

.mailrc
alias todd (todd booth) todd@quotron.com

thanks,

todd (booth)

todd@quotron.com 213 302-4368
..!uunet!quotron.com!todd

chris@vision.UUCP (Chris Davies) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec17.234241.15715@nntp-server.caltech.edu> todd@Quotron.COM (Todd_Booth) writes:
>1) Is there a direct way with mail or sendmail to mail files such as the following?
>
>To: (comment) user
>Subject: subject goes here
>
>msg goes here.

On the systems we have in house (mainly SysV.3 with Lachman IP additions) I
can feed this directly to sendmail, viz -

	/usr/lib/sendmail -v user@site < mail_file

Where "user@site" is the address part of your "To: (comment) user" line, and
"mail_file" is the file you are wanting to send.  Sendmail will automagically
add the RFC822(?) lines such as "From: " and "Date: ".

I believe you can do much the same thing with /bin/rmail, but you won't
get extra headers (such as "From: ") added to the message.

>2) Is there a way to include comments in an alias file?
>.mailrc
>alias todd (todd booth) todd@quotron.com

Comments in an alias file start with a hash (#) in the first column.  Real
names aliases can be specified (at least on the SysV systems I use) like this -

	alias todd 'todd@quotron.com (Todd Booth)'

Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp    JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org   BANGNET: ...!ukc!vision!chris

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec17.234241.15715@nntp-server.caltech.edu> todd@Quotron.COM (Todd_Booth) writes:
> 1) Is there a direct way with mail or sendmail to mail files such as the following?
>
> To: (comment) user
> Subject: subject goes here
>
> msg goes here.
Yes, in mush, type:

% mush -draft "filename" -send

> I've done this with mh post, but don't want to install/maintain, ... mh.
Good plan :-)

> 2) Is there a way to include comments in an alias file?
> .mailrc
> alias todd (todd booth) todd@quotron.com

Mail doesn't support this, but mush does.

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com