[comp.mail.misc] MMDF - how do you forward user mail?

steve@txsil.lonestar.org (Steve McConnel) (12/18/90)

On a system that uses MMDF, how does a user arrange to have his mail
forwarded to another account (possibly on another machine)?  Back in
the Good Old Days, we had a 4.2BSD system with sendmail, and a .forward
file in a user's home directory served this purpose admirably.  As far
as I can figure out, MMDF requires that a global system alias file be
modified *each* time *any* user wants to start or stop forwarding email.
Is this correct?  (I hope not, because if so, the local VMS system
admininstrator wins a brownie point in favor of his otherwise ugly
email software. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
--
Stephen McConnel
Summer Institute of Linguistics  PHONE: 214-709-2418

chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu (Chuck Cranor) (12/19/90)

In article <385@txsil.lonestar.org> steve@txsil.lonestar.org (Steve McConnel) writes:
>On a system that uses MMDF, how does a user arrange to have his mail
>forwarded to another account (possibly on another machine)?  Back in
>the Good Old Days, we had a 4.2BSD system with sendmail, and a .forward
>file in a user's home directory served this purpose admirably.

Steve...
   ".forward" is a SendMailism as far as I know.  Use ".maildelivery"
and pipe the message to "resend" to forward mail.  Latter version of MMDF
support .forward, but I have heard there are problems....

Like so:
#
# mmdf maildelivery
#
*	-	pipe	A	/usr/local/resend cranor@louie.udel.edu

Chuck

--
Chuck Cranor
E-Mail: chuck@maria.wustl.edu / cranor@udel.edu

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (01/04/91)

In article <385@txsil.lonestar.org> steve@txsil.lonestar.org (Steve McConnel) writes:
>On a system that uses MMDF, how does a user arrange to have his mail
>forwarded to another account (possibly on another machine)?  Back in
>the Good Old Days, we had a 4.2BSD system with sendmail, and a .forward
>file in a user's home directory served this purpose admirably.  As far
>as I can figure out, MMDF requires that a global system alias file be
>modified *each* time *any* user wants to start or stop forwarding email.
>Is this correct?  (I hope not, because if so, the local VMS system
>admininstrator wins a brownie point in favor of his otherwise ugly
>email software. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Not too hard .. and theres a few ways of doing it.

You can put an alias in the global alias file like

	user:	:include:/users/home/path/.forward

To enable a .forward file for the user.

With update 43 a compile-time feature (DOTFORWARD) was added which
does the .forward thing directly.  But apparently there's a security
bug in it (hafta check closer on it..)

Finally, at the cost of a bit of header munging, placing the following
like in the users .maildelivery file will forward mail

* - | A /wherever/the/resend/program/is/resend some-user@some-domain

The header munging is to add a couple lines listing Resent-To: and
add those lines ...

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>