[comp.mail.misc] Mail to Compuserve

jrs@cbnews.att.com (Jeff Sherota) (01/05/91)

I would like to send mail to someone at Compuserve, but I don't know their
ID number.

I've heard that you send mail to a Compuserve user with an address like:

        12345.6789@compuserve.com       (where 12345,6789 is their ID)

Is there anyway that I can send mail to Compuserve using the person's name
For example:

     joe.doe@compuserve.com    or  joe_doe@compuserve.com

Or is there a postmaster at Compuserve that would mail me the person's ID.

Any Help Would be Appreciated

Jeff Sherota
jrs@cblpe.att.com

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (01/05/91)

There is no means by which to send to full_name@compuserve.com.
However, there is (necessarily, as per RFC) a real human who responds
to mail aimed at postmaster@compuserve.com, and she is quite helpful.

Note that it is at a subscriber's discretion to be {in,ex}cluded from
the subscriber directory; postmaster@compuserve.com may not be able to
help in the case of an exclusion.

--karl

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.175316.11685@cbnews.att.com> jrs@cbnews.att.com (Jeff Sherota) writes:
>I would like to send mail to someone at Compuserve, but I don't know their
>ID number.
>
>I've heard that you send mail to a Compuserve user with an address like:
>        12345.6789@compuserve.com       (where 12345,6789 is their ID)

 That's correct.

>Is there anyway that I can send mail to Compuserve using the person's name
>For example:
>     joe.doe@compuserve.com    or  joe_doe@compuserve.com
 No. CompuServe is like the Government or the Army. Numbers are unique, names
are not.

>Or is there a postmaster at Compuserve that would mail me the person's ID.
 No.
 If you don't have Compuserve access yourself, you'll have to ask someone who
does to search for the user's PPN. It might shorten the search if you happen to
know what Forum(s) the person hangs out on.

But unless you're trying to send a surprise birthday message, why can't you
just ask the person you wish to reach what his/her PPN is?

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr@jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

jrs@cbnews.att.com (Jeff Sherota) (01/08/91)

I thought I'd follow-up with my findings since there was some conflicting
information.

 1.  Joe.User@Compuserve.com didn't work.  I got a postmaster reply containing
     instructions for mailing to Compuserve (I included it below).

 2.  I sent mail to postmaster@compuserve.com requesting directory info
     help.  I didn't think I was going to get a reponse because the repy
     from 1. said that Compuserve directory info is available only to
     Compuserve Mail subscribers.  But POSTMASTER@COMPUSERVE.COM (Kathy
     Chevrier) was kind enough to send me the person's ID.

     Also thanks to Rudolf Kuenzli for looking up the ID up for me.

-------------------Here's Compuserve's bounced mail reply---------------------

Your message could not be delivered as addressed.

--- Returned message ---

Subject: Addressing CompuServe Mail users

A message you sent to a CompuServe Mail user is being returned
because it could not be delivered due to an incorrect address.  The
correct method of addressing CompuServe Mail users is outlined below.

There are two types of CompuServe Mail addresses.  They can be
reached from the Internet as follows:

a) Members of the CompuServe Information Service have an address
   (a.k.a. User ID) of the form "xxxxx,yyyy", such as "70000,11".
   To send mail to such an address from the Internet, change the
   comma to a period and attach "@CompuServe.com".  For instance:
        70000.11@CompuServe.com

b) Members of organizations with a private CompuServe Mail area have
   an address of the form "organization:name", such as "ABC:J.SMITH".
   To send mail to such an address from the Internet, send it to
   "name@organization.CompuServe.com".  For instance:
        J.SMITH@ABC.CompuServe.com

   A few organizations have addresses which also include a department
   in the form "organization:department:name", such as
   "ABC:ACCTG:JOHN".  To send mail to such an address from the
   Internet, send to "name@department.organization.CompuServe.com".
   For instance:
        JOHN@ACCTG.ABC.CompuServe.com

There are also a number of special destinations available to users of
CompuServe Mail which are NOT accessible from the Internet,
including:

    Facsimile Delivery    (e.g. >FAX: )
    Postal Delivery       (e.g. >POSTAL: )
    Telex Delivery        (e.g. >TLX: )
    MCI Mail Delivery     (e.g. >MCIMAIL: )

Finally, please realize that only CompuServe Mail users have access
to our member directory.  Since there is no mechanism for you to
obtain addresses directly from CompuServe Incorporated, you should
obtain this information from the individuals with whom you wish to
correspond.  Thank you.

    Coordially,

        The Electronic Postmaster

        ************   Returned Message Follows   ************