[comp.mail.misc] Internet -> ENVOY100

anton@bkj386.uucp (Anton Aylward) (01/05/91)

OK, so we know how to send to mcimail.
How about sending to people who have ENVOY 100 accounts ?

/anton aylward		a.s.c.i
			anton@analsyn.uucp
--
           ____   __________
          /   /   /        |                       |  Anton J Aylward

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan5.031755.15324@bkj386.uucp> anton@analsyn.UUCP
(PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>OK, so we know how to send to mcimail.
>How about sending to people who have ENVOY 100 accounts ?

I have just been mucking with this.  The latest Internetworking Guide
that I have

# Inter-Network Mail Guide - Copyright 1990 by John J. Chew
#   $Header: netmail,v 1.12 90/07/06 20:38:28 john Exp $

suggests that mail can be sent this way:

#F internet
#T envoy
#R John Smith (ID=userid)
#C /C=CA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=ICS.TEST/S=TEST_GROUP/@nasamail.nasa.gov
#C   for second method only
#I send to "uunet.uu.net!att!attmail!mhs!envoy!userid"
#I   or to "/C=CA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/DD.ID=userid/PN=John_Smith/@Sprint.COM"

However, numerous tests using this format (and some variations) have
all resulted in messages like:

>The following address(es) could not be translated to X.400 ORName(s):
>  address:   /C=CA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/PN=PHILLIPS/ID=PHILLIPS.D/@sprint.com
>  reason:  part before '@' not an encoded ORName (illegal attribute)

or messages like:

>Report from domain /PRMD=INTERNET/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/:
>FAILED delivery to:
>  1 Recipient ORName: /PN=PHILLIPS/DD.ID=PHILLIPS.D/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/
>    Translates to: /PN=PHILLIPS/DD.ID=PHILLIPS.D/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/@sprint.com
>    Reason: unable to transfer
>    Diagnostic: unrecognized ORName

being returned from sprint.com.

I am able to send mail from Envoy to Internet (using the format
suggested in the Guide), but replying using the From: header results in
the same messages listed above.

So, how does one get mail from Internet to Envoy?

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
               andrew@calvin.doc.CA    andrew@doccrc.BITNET