[comp.mail.misc] domain forwarding using smail3

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/08/91)

We are running smail3 - release 18 which is currently on uunet.

Our domain, rn.com is registered with SRI - and our primary
forwarder is forwarding everything in rn.com domain to our
gateway which is nstar.rn.com.

Now we want to add additional machines to our domain.

Mail entered on nstar.rn.com for syscon.rn.com gets forwarded
correctly to syscon - but incoming mail for syscon.rn.com from
the outside goes to nstar.rn.com - and isn't forwarded on to
syscon.rn.com.

The paths database contains syscon.rn.com -> syscon!%s
and this is working on mail entered from within the domain -
but anything coming in from our primary forwarder is getting
passed on to the correct machine in the rn.com domain.

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

In article <1991Jan07.211347.18696@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>We are running smail3 - release 18 which is currently on uunet.

>Our domain, rn.com is registered with SRI - and our primary
>forwarder is forwarding everything in rn.com domain to our
>gateway which is nstar.rn.com.

>Now we want to add additional machines to our domain.

>Mail entered on nstar.rn.com for syscon.rn.com gets forwarded
>correctly to syscon - but incoming mail for syscon.rn.com from
>the outside goes to nstar.rn.com - and isn't forwarded on to
>syscon.rn.com.

This doesn't make any sense to me because smail3 does not care
about where a message came from when determining how to route it.
Can you find examples of identical addresses that were handled
differently in your logfiles?

>The paths database contains syscon.rn.com -> syscon!%s
>and this is working on mail entered from within the domain -
>but anything coming in from our primary forwarder is getting
>passed on to the correct machine in the rn.com domain.

Note that the values in the specified in the "domain" attribute for
the pathalias router are stripped off before the search.  Thus, if
you have "domain=uucp:rn.com" in your routers file (or the compiled-in
equivalent), an address of either syscon.uucp or syscon.rn.com would
match the name "syscon" in the pathalias lookup.  Likewise, the domain
attribute applies (separately) to the "uuname" driver so you can
automatically consider your uucp neighbors to be under your domain.
In any case, though, the address should be treated the same whether
entered locally or remotely.  If you are receiving the mail via uucp
try using uulog -x to see what address was actually passed on the command
line.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us