[comp.mail.misc] International e_Mail

kale@mwk.uucp (01/10/91)

Could anyone please tell me where I can
get information on how to send e-mail
to various countries, especially, India.

Kale

mwk!kale@menudo.uh.edu

Telephone (713) 960-4170

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (01/11/91)

In article <7.278b5a44@mwk.uucp> kale@mwk.uucp writes:
>Could anyone please tell me where I can
>get information on how to send e-mail
>to various countries, especially, India.
>
>Kale

I was surprised to discover that India doesn't seem to be connected
to any significant global network.  My source (which I recommend):

        !%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing and Networks
        by Donnalyn Frey and Rick Adams
        Published by O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.
        632 Petaluma Avenue
        Sebastopol, CA 95472

The string of characters at the front are actually part of the title,
but if you ask for the book at a book store, you probably ought to ask
for "A Directory of Electronic Mail".  Since you appear to be in Houston,
I can suggest that you will probably find this book at your local BookStop.

You can also contact O'Reilly and Associates at uunet!ora!nuts or
call them at 1-800-338-NUTS (in California, 1-800-533-NUTS).  The
reference to nuts is because O'Reilly does the Nutshell Handbook
series of Unix books (including Using UUCP and Usenet, and Managing
UUCP and Usenet).

I am not affiliated with O'Reilly and Associates in any way other than
as a user of some of their books.

-lar
--
Lar Kaufman                  Save American jobs:
(voice) 512-329-2455

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (01/13/91)

In article <290@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>In article <7.278b5a44@mwk.uucp> kale@mwk.uucp writes:
>>Could anyone please tell me where I can
>>get information on how to send e-mail
>>to various countries, especially, India.
>>
>>Kale
>
>I was surprised to discover that India doesn't seem to be connected
>to any significant global network.  My source (which I recommend):

There is a moderate size map file for India in comp.mail.maps!  Thus,
India is conneced to UUCP, which I would call a significant global
network :-) The following organizations are listed (the #O field):

    Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
    Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
    Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
    Centre for Development of Telematics, Delhi
    Central Research Laboratories.
    Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Comp. Sci. Dept.
    Inter Univ. Ctr. for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
    Jawaharlal Nehru University, Dept. of Physical Sciences
    Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
    Institute for Plasma Research, Ahmedabad
    National Centre for Software Technology
    Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
    Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay
    Indian Institute Of Science
    Computer Aided Design Laboratory
    Electrical Engineering Dept., IISc Bangalore
    Dept. of Electronics

We correspond with researchers in India on a regurlar basis using
e-mail.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
               andrew@calvin.doc.CA    andrew@doccrc.BITNET

kre@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) (01/14/91)

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:

>I was surprised to discover that India doesn't seem to be connected
>to any significant global network.

I understand your surprise, as you're wrong.  What's worse...

>My source (which I recommend):

>        !%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing and Networks

its listed in (both editions of) Donnalyn and Rick's book.

A quick check in the index of networks by country will locate it.

kre

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (01/16/91)

In article <kre.663786393@mundamutti.cs.mu.OZ.AU> kre@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) writes:
>lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:

>>I was surprised to discover that India doesn't seem to be connected
>>to any significant global network.

>I understand your surprise, as you're wrong.  What's worse...

>>My source (which I recommend):

>>        !%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing and Networks

>its listed in (both editions of) Donnalyn and Rick's book.

>A quick check in the index of networks by country will locate it.

Ok, I found it and you are correct.  For some reason, I did not look
above the divider line, which separates entries into groups of 5.
Thanks for the correction.

I infer from your comment that there is a later edition of the book
than the First Edition - or were you referring to a hardback/paperback
kind of edition?

-lar

P.S. The network listed is ERNET, the Education and Research in Computer
Networks.  "To access the ERNET info-server, send electronic mail to
uunet!shakti!infoserv or mcvax!shakti!infoserv and the body of the message
should include:

  request:directory
  topic:name[name][name]

where name is the user name at a site in India.  Case is important.  Replies
are returned by electronic mail."

--
Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can

rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams) (01/16/91)

The second edition of !%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing
and Networks was published in June, 1990. The third edition should
come out sometime this summer. An annual update is planned.

Its surprising how much chages from edition to edition. A year is a long
time in the networking world.

For example, shakti.ernet.in is now reachable via TCP over a 9.6
SLIP line. Six months ago, it was UUCP over the same leased line.
A year ago it was UUCP over X.25. Next year, maybe a faster line...

---rick

p.s. We wanted to add another hare on the cover for each edition, but
couldn't talk the publisher into it.