[comp.mail.misc] Internet Interconnections

gnamasiv@wam.umd.edu (Girirajan Namasivayam) (01/18/91)

This is a list of Internet Interconnections, for those who may
be interested.  I got this list from The Matrix, by John S. Quarterman.

Network			Syntax
BITNET  		user%host.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
SPAN			user%host.span@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov
SPAN			user%host.span@star.stanford.edu
HEPnet			user%host.HEPNET@LBL.GOV
HEPnet			user%host.HEPNET@LBL.BITNET
ACSnet			user@domain.{ASCNET-domain}
UUCP			user%host.uucp@gateway
UUCP			host!user@uunet.uu.net
Ean			user%domain.{Ean-domain}%ubc.csnet@relay.cs.net
XEROX Internet		user.{XEROX-domain}@xerox.com
XEROX RIN		user.registry@Xerox.COM
			(e.g. JLarson.PA@Xerox.COM)
XEROX CIN		Name.foreignRegistry@Xerox.COM
			(e.g. JDoe.osbunorth@Xerox.COM)
EASYnet			user%host.dex@decwrl.dec.com
VNET			user%host@ibm.com
JANET			user%domain.{JANET-domain}@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET			user%domain.{JANET-domain}@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Starlink		user@starlink.jodrell-bank.manchester.ac.uk
Starlink		user@star.jb.man.ac.uk
JUNET			user%domain.{JUNET-domain}%japan.csnet@relay.cs.net
DASnet			user@das.com
DASnet			user@das.net
PeaceNet		user@de3mir.das.net
PeaceNet		user%cdp.uucp@parcvax.xerox.com

Note: I lifted this list straight from the book and do not profess to
have tried out all these addressing schemes.  I have the 1990 edition
of the book.  At the very least, this list may serve as a starting
point for those who are trying to send mail from internet to other
networks.  And if people can add to this list, that would be great.

--Giri--

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan17.170659.18581@wam.umd.edu> gnamasiv@wam.umd.edu (Girirajan Namasivayam) writes:
>This is a list of Internet Interconnections, for those who may
>be interested.  I got this list from The Matrix, by John S. Quarterman.
>
>Network                        Syntax
>JANET                  user%domain.{JANET-domain}@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
>JANET                  user%domain.{JANET-domain}@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>Starlink               user@starlink.jodrell-bank.manchester.ac.uk
>Starlink               user@star.jb.man.ac.uk

I sincerely hope that people do not have to conciously route
when sending to JANET - the UK academic network. The sorts of
addresses we are talking about are:

        jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk
        jf@uk.ac.umist.co.ap

The second gives the traditional JNT address format - ie.
reverse of what you are probably used to. Increasingly people
use "normal" ordering. Anyway, the address looks like an
Internet address, and most internet nodes should know what to
do with them anyway - hopefully! I don't know if there is a
BIND MX entry for "*.ac.uk" - there ought to be really. Note
that the best relays to use are:

        vax.nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
        sun2.nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

These are for academic use only though.

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan18.192450.26078@cns.umist.ac.uk> jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) writes:

I don't know if there is a  BIND MX entry for "*.ac.uk" - there ought
to be really.

There is. All UK academic sites in the NRS (the UK's naming registry)
are automatically entered as MX records in the Internet's DNS. This is
done by the people operating the JANET/Internet gateway in London.

		Jim