[comp.mail.misc] OMNET <--> Internet : How?

Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) (02/14/91)

There is an electronic network accessible in Australia called OMNET.

Does anyone know how to talk to this via Internet?

Cheers,
Liam.

--
tgumleyle@cc.curtin.edu.au
#Liam E. Gumley, Department of Applied Physics, Curtin University of Technology#

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (02/14/91)

In article <7105.27bab5df@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes...
^There is an electronic network accessible in Australia called OMNET.
^
^Does anyone know how to talk to this via Internet?

OMNET is a Sprintmail/Telemail based email system devoted to the sciences.
This is really a Sprintmail reseller (for all real purposes) that charges
for message storage and many other things.$$$$  To send to someone on OMNET
with USERNAME use the following address

 SMTP%"/dd.un=USERNAME/admd=telemail/o=omnet/c=us/@sprint.com"
                 or if you know there first and last name on OMNET
 SMTP%"/fn=FIRSTNAME/sn=LASTNAME/admd=telemail/o=omnet/c=us/@sprint.com"

Dave Weissman - Broadband and FDDI LAN Operations Group

Snail mail:
   Code 543.8
   Goddard Space Flight Center
   Greenbelt, Maryland 20771

NSI DECNET (SPAN)      6153::DWEISSMAN
NSI TCP/IP             dweissman@128.183.112.2
Sprintnet's X.400      (C:USA,A:TELEMAIL,P:GSFC,FN:DAVID,SN:WEISSMAN)
CIS                    71150,1002

rdunbar@tonka.gsfc.nasa.gov (Richard Dunbar) (02/14/91)

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) writes:

>In article <7105.27bab5df@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes...
>^There is an electronic network accessible in Australia called OMNET.
>^
>^Does anyone know how to talk to this via Internet?

>OMNET is a Sprintmail/Telemail based email system devoted to the sciences.
>This is really a Sprintmail reseller (for all real purposes) that charges
>for message storage and many other things.$$$$  To send to someone on OMNET
>with USERNAME use the following address

> SMTP%"/dd.un=USERNAME/admd=telemail/o=omnet/c=us/@sprint.com"
>                 or if you know there first and last name on OMNET
> SMTP%"/fn=FIRSTNAME/sn=LASTNAME/admd=telemail/o=omnet/c=us/@sprint.com"

There is also a MX out there for OMNET (omnet.nasa.gov).  According to
a little chart I have hanging in my office, you should be able to
send to:

	username@omnet.nasa.gov

I haven't tried this.  But I have used:

	username@gsfcmail.nasa.gov

which goes to GSFCMAIL (which is also one of the Sprintmail/Telemail based
email systems).  I'm told that <long address>@sprint.com is a faster way of
getting your mail where you want it to go.  I prefer to type as little as
possible.

--rick d.	  rdunbar@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (02/14/91)

In article <rdunbar.666541686@tonka>, rdunbar@tonka.gsfc.nasa.gov (Richard Dunbar) writes...
^dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) writes:
^
^>In article <7105.27bab5df@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes...
^>^There is an electronic network accessible in Australia called OMNET.
^>^
[...]

Come on Rick, get with X.400/OSI bandwagon!:)  The MX for OMNET uses NASA's
POSTMAN gateway at Ames.  I know the chart you refer to but I'm not sure
how NASA feels about mass use of the Ames gateway.  Besides the Ames gateway
can sometimes take hours or days to deliver (if at all).
Dave Weissman - Broadband and FDDI LAN Operations Group

Snail mail:                       NSI DECNET (SPAN) -  6153::DWEISSMAN
   Code 543.8                     NSI TCP/IP        -  dweissman@128.183.112.2
   Goddard Space Flight Center    SPRINTnet's X.400 -
   Greenbelt, Maryland 20771      (C:USA,A:TELEMAIL,P:GSFC,FN:DAVID,SN:WEISSMAN)

*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*

  I don't speak for nor represent the views of NASA or my company although
  they would both be happy if I just shut up for once.........

*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (02/21/91)

In article <7105.27bab5df@cc.curtin.edu.au> Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes:
>There is an electronic network accessible in Australia called OMNET.
>
>Does anyone know how to talk to this via Internet?

If by "talk," you mean "send mail," then you have two (maybe three) options.

OMNET is a reseller of time on a SprintMail system.  You can send email to
users on OMNET either through Sprint Internet relay, Sprint.COM, or through
the Commercial Mail Relay (CMR) at Intermail.ISI.EDU.  Both are store-and-
forward mail gateways.

The Sprint.COM relay uses a X.400-like syntax that is still buggy.  The
Commercial Mail Relay can use the SprintMail X.400 implementation (believe it
or not, different from Sprint.COM) and the older "Interconnect" format.

Through the CMR, you can send mail to OMNET users with this format:

	   "[omnet.user/OMNET]MAIL/USA%TELEMAIL"@Intermail.ISI.EDU

Users on OMNET will need to use an embedded header, i.e. in the body of the
message text (almost as ugly as X.400, but not quite) in a message to
"[INTERMAIL/USCISI]SM66/USA" to get mail back to you:

	Forward: Internet
	To: Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au
	<Blank-Line>

You can get more information about the Commercial Mail Relay from:

		     Intermail-Request@Intermail.ISI.EDU

The information address for OMNET is:

	 "[OMNET.SERVICE/OMNET]MAIL/USA%TELEMAIL"@Intermail.ISI.EDU

or just "OMNET.SERVICE" to OMNET users.  (The quotes around addresses in
sentences are just to set the addresses off; however, in the indented
addresses, they are recommended.)

(The Ames Research Center also runs a store-and-forward gateway to
SprintMail, but it is intended more for internal NASA use and may be more
restrictive than the CMR.  The CMR is limited to research and educational
uses and Sprint.COM is less restrictive because their users pay for the
service.)
--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute