[comp.mail.misc] POP3 server for System V wanted

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu (02/19/91)

I am looking for a POP3 server for System V to run on an AT&T 3B2.
I have posted this request on comp.sys.mac.comm and have received several
"me too" requests.  From this I would say that there is a fair level
of interest in this.

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
608-262-6368

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb19.151406.2533@macc.wisc.edu> dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
>I am looking for a POP3 server for System V to run on an AT&T 3B2.
>I have posted this request on comp.sys.mac.comm and have received several
>"me too" requests.  From this I would say that there is a fair level
>of interest in this.

You don't really expect SysV people to read a Macintosh newsgroup, do you? :-)

There is a SysV port of the POP3 server from Berkeley (not part of the
Berkeley software distribution, but nonetheless written at UCB) available
for anonymous FTP from jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (128.220.2.5) in the pub/SYSV
directory.  I have used this ported version on a couple different SysV
machines (a 3b4000 and a 3b1) without any real problems, so I figure it's
ready for sharing.  If you do have problems, lemme know.

I've just about completed a hybrid POP2/POP3 server which will use the
appropriate (either POP2 or POP3) protocol depending upon the behavior of
the client (and which protocol the client appears to be using).  My primary
problem so far has been finding enough different clients which actually
adhere to the POP2 or POP3 protocol to test this server.

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX