[comp.mail.misc] Internet<-->GTE Telemail Help

stevenst@infonode.ingr.com (Todd Stevens) (02/20/91)

Is there anyone who can help me to gateway from my Internet address to
a GTE user address in Telemail?
--
Todd Stevens                    |Internet  - stevenst@infonode.ingr.com
Intergraph Corporation          |UUCP      - ...uunet!ingr!infonode!stevenst

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb20.150756.19177@infonode.ingr.com>, stevenst@infonode.ingr.com (Todd Stevens) writes...
^Is there anyone who can help me to gateway from my Internet address to
^a GTE user address in Telemail?
^--
Use the gateway at sprint.com   This requires knowledge of the recipient's
X.400 address on Telenet (now Sprintnet).  Your SMTP address will look like
this:

  smtp%"/dd.un=username/admd=telemail/o=gte/c=us/@sprint.com"

the username will be the recipient's username on the system and o will be
the organization.  A prmd might be needed, but you need the address first
and maybe then I can help...

Dave Weissman - Broadband and FDDI LAN Operations Group

Snail mail:                       NSI DECNET (SPAN) -  6153::DWEISSMAN
   Code 543.8                     NSI TCP/IP        -  dweissman@128.183.112.2
   Goddard Space Flight Center    SPRINTnet's X.400 -
   Greenbelt, Maryland 20771      (C:USA,A:TELEMAIL,P:GSFC,FN:DAVID,SN:WEISSMAN)

*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*

  I don't speak for nor represent the views of NASA or my company although
  they would both be happy if I just shut up for once.........

*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (02/22/91)

In article <4367@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>Use the gateway at sprint.com   This requires knowledge of the recipient's
>X.400 address on Telenet (now Sprintnet).  Your SMTP address will look like
>this:
>
>  smtp%"/dd.un=username/admd=telemail/o=gte/c=us/@sprint.com"

One comment on this, the "smtp%" looks to me like an operating system
specific feature (e.g. tell VMS to invoke a different MTA).  It need not be
part of the the address once it gets to the network MTAs. The
"/dd.un=username/admd=telemail/o=gte/c=us/@sprint.com" (without the quotes)
should be all that is needed.

The article I posted yesterday about OMNET via the Commercial Mail Relay
(<16843@venera.isi.edu>) also applies to any user on GTEs Telemail (now
called SprintMail) mail system.  If a reader can't find that article, user
instructions for the CMR can be obtained from:

		    intermail-request@intermail.isi.edu.

Questions about Sprint.COM should be sent to their postmaster.
--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (02/22/91)

In article <16858@venera.isi.edu>, cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) writes...
^In article <4367@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
^>Use the gateway at sprint.com   This requires knowledge of the recipient's
^>X.400 address on Telenet (now Sprintnet).  Your SMTP address will look like
^>this:
^>
^>  smtp%"/dd.un=username/admd=telemail/o=gte/c=us/@sprint.com"
^
^One comment on this, the "smtp%" looks to me like an operating system
^specific feature (e.g. tell VMS to invoke a different MTA).  It need not be
^part of the the address once it gets to the network MTAs. The.....

Alright, alright!  I admit it.....I get so used to entering SMTP from my
VMS system that I entered it even though I knew other most other hosts don't
need it.  Hey, I get A+ for the rest though :-)