[comp.mail.misc] Help mailing from internet to Dialcom

ofer@TAURUS.BITNET (02/25/91)

Hello
I need to pass mail to an DialCom mailbox from the internet.
I could not find anything about Dialcom in the Internetworking
mail guide nor could I find a negative report on the above.
I know the was a gateway in Palo Alto operated by Ken Novak
but I don't know if it is there and how to mail it.
Please send replies directly and I will mail the summary here.
Many many thanks.
Ofer Lapid.

<ofer@math.tau.ac.il> or <ofer@taurus.bitnet>

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (02/27/91)

In article <2398@taurus.BITNET> <ofer%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>I need to pass mail to an DialCom mailbox from the internet.

In the general case, I know of no gateway for this purpose.  The Commercial
Mail Relay (CMR), operated here, did have a general gateway into Dialcom
until March 1990.  It was funded by the National Science Foundation.  When
NSF funding went away, Dialcom management decided not to continue the service
with their own funds.  The gateway was shutdown.

>I know the was a gateway in Palo Alto operated by Ken Novak
>but I don't know if it is there and how to mail it.

Some Dialcom customer groups arranged to have dedicated gateways setup within
the CMR.  CGNet Services, the organization Ken Novak is with, was one of
those groups.  THIS GATEWAY IS FOR THE USE OF CGNET SERVICES CUSTOMERS ONLY.
If your intended mailbox is with CGNET, then you've got a route, otherwise,
you're probably SOL.

>Please send replies directly and I will mail the summary here.

This question has come up a lot recently and needs to be distributed as
widely and quickly as possible; however, if you find another route, I'd like
to hear about it.

Dialcom is owned and operated by British Telecom.  If their customers wish an
Internet gateway, they must forcefully and directly inform BT.

The other Dialcom customer groups with dedicated CMR gateways are the
American Library Association and Westinghouse.

Information about the CMR can be obtained from:

		     Intermail-Request@Intermail.ISI.EDU
--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute