[comp.mail.misc] Forwarding mail in mailx

bacscaoc@csunb.csun.edu (Nader Nafissi) (02/19/91)

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether you can forward mail
using mailx running under AT&T UNIX System V 2.1.2 ?

I know that you can have a .forward file if you are using BSD sendmail,
but I have not been able to find anything for mailx.

Thanks, nader

lee@gdc.portal.com (Seng-Poh Lee, Gen DataComm, +1 203 758-1811) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.011151.18870@csun.edu>, bacscaoc@csunb.csun.edu (Nader Nafissi) writes:
> Hi:
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether you can forward mail
> using mailx running under AT&T UNIX System V 2.1.2 ?
>
> I know that you can have a .forward file if you are using BSD sendmail,
> but I have not been able to find anything for mailx.

In my HP-UX system (based on SYSV), forwarding is done by placing a line
with "forward to xxx" in the users mail file in the /usr/mail or usr/spool/mail
directory. Try that and see if that works.

----
Seng-Poh Lee				Work:	lee@gdc.portal.com
General DataComm Ind. Inc			...!uunet!portal!gdc!lee
					Home:	lee%splee.uucp@hsi.com
						...!uunet!splee!lee

gedwards@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Gordon Edwards) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.011151.18870@csun.edu> bacscaoc@csunb.csun.edu (Nader Nafissi) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether you can forward mail
>using mailx running under AT&T UNIX System V 2.1.2 ?

Say your mail is spooled to /usr/mail/user and you would like to forward
your mail to xxx@yyy, try making the first line of /usr/mail/user read:

Forward to xxx@yyy

Make sure /usr/mail/user has the correct ownership and permissions after
you edit/create the file.

--------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Internet: gedwards@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM |
UUCP: {gatech|uunet|emory}!ncratl!gedwards  |     "Nothing unreal exists"
Amateur Radio: N4VPH                        |

root@yclept.chi.il.us (Root) (02/25/91)

+----
+Seng-Poh Lee				Work:	lee@gdc.portal.com
+General DataComm Ind. Inc			...!uunet!portal!gdc!lee
+					Home:	lee%splee.uucp@hsi.com
+						...!uunet!splee!lee

I believe that there is a requirement that that be 'Forward to',
not 'forward to'.

Randolph J. Herber, rjh@yclept.chi.il.us

pozar@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb19.011151.18870@csun.edu> bacscaoc@csunb.csun.edu (Nader Nafissi) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether you can forward mail
>using mailx running under AT&T UNIX System V 2.1.2 ?
>
>I know that you can have a .forward file if you are using BSD sendmail,
>but I have not been able to find anything for mailx.

   Possibly using smail (2.5?) with your mailx and using the alias
file to readdress mail.

         Tim

--
       pozar@lns.com  Fido: 1:125/555  PaBell: 415-788-3904
    USNail:  KKSF-FM / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

brian@king.csd.mot.com (03/02/91)

pozar@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:

>In article <1991Feb19.011151.18870@csun.edu> bacscaoc@csunb.csun.edu (Nader Nafissi) writes:
>>I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether you can forward mail
>>using mailx running under AT&T UNIX System V 2.1.2 ?
>>
>>I know that you can have a .forward file if you are using BSD sendmail,
>>but I have not been able to find anything for mailx.

>   Possibly using smail (2.5?) with your mailx and using the alias
>file to readdress mail.

Or if you don't have smail, try "mail -F forwarding!address", replacing
"forwarding!address" with the actual address to which you want your mail
forwarded of course.  It should put the following text in your /usr/mail
mailbox:

  Forward to forwarding!address

This works at least with SVR3.  I don't know about SVR2.

terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.230549.4003@kumr.lns.com>, pozar@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:
> In article <1991Feb19.011151.18870@csun.edu> bacscaoc@csunb.csun.edu (Nader Nafissi) writes:
> >I was wondering if anyone out there knows whether you can forward mail
> >using mailx running under AT&T UNIX System V 2.1.2 ?
> >
> >I know that you can have a .forward file if you are using BSD sendmail,
> >but I have not been able to find anything for mailx.

If you want to forward mail with mailx, for example, from 'tim'
to 'mary', you would do the following:

      cd to /usr/mail (or /usr/spool/mail)
      edit a file called 'tim'
      Make the file read: 'Forward to mary'

      Of course, you could just do the following:

       echo "Forward to mary" > tim

Any mail sent to tim will be redirected to mary's mailbox.

|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |

jrs@cbnews.att.com (jeff.sherota) (03/05/91)

In article <446@jgaltstl.UUCP> terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) writes:

>      cd to /usr/mail (or /usr/spool/mail)
>      edit a file called 'tim'

If you edit your /usr/mail, don't you run the risk of losing any
mail that you receive while you edit (your edit's write will write
back over any new mail that you received while editing)?

Jeff Sherota
jrs@cbnews.att.com