[comp.mail.misc] Anyone heard of SAPONET?

s873561@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Michael Barnett) (03/02/91)

A friend has recently arrived from South Africa, and wants to know if it is
possible to get through to SAPONET from Internet.  Can anyone help me?

Also, are there any South African (or anywhere in Africa for that matter) sites
on Internet?
--
Michael Barnett - s873561@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au - How much can a koala bear?
  RMIT/VUT - Melbourne - Australia - What would you rather bee or a wasp?

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P. Barrett) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar2.094310.23147@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>,
s873561@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Michael Barnett) writes:
> A friend has recently arrived from South Africa, and wants to know if
> it is possible to get through to SAPONET from Internet.  Can anyone
> help me?

SAPONET is the South African Post Office's X.25 network (network number
6550 in the international X.25 scheme of things).  Many Internet systems
have X.25 connections, and can therefore send X.25 packets to systems on
SAPONET.  Whether or not that would be useful to your friend is a
different question altogether.  What is it that he *really* wants to do?

> Also, are there any South African (or anywhere in Africa for that
> matter) sites on Internet?

I don't know of any in Southern Africa, though it is possible that some
multinational companies have their African branch offices connected up
over IP, but keep such information to themselves.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
Internet: barrett@ee.und.ac.za (or %ee.und.ac.za@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu)
UUCP: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett    PSI-Mail: PSI%(6550)13601353::BARRETT

pinkham@ucthpx.uct.ac.za (Chris Pinkham) (03/05/91)

s873561@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Michael Barnett) writes:

>A friend has recently arrived from South Africa, and wants to know if it is
>possible to get through to SAPONET from Internet.  Can anyone help me?

SAPONET is the South African Post Office X.25 network. It has links
into X.25 networks overseas, and you should be able to reach any
SAPONET DTE address from any established X.25 network your way.

>Also, are there any South African (or anywhere in Africa for that matter) sites
>on Internet?

Not directly on the Intenet, but a number of universities, research
organisations (under the umbrella of a networking body called Uninet),
and private organisations (through the local UUCP network) have
access to mail and news. There is a ZA domain registered, and
subdomains of that domain are starting to appear all over the place.
--
Chris Pinkham			Internet: pinkham@ucthpx.uct.ac.za
Systems Programmer		UUCP:     ...!m2xenix!quagga!ucthpx!pinkham