[comp.mail.misc] Return Mail from Fidonet

szh20@ccc.amdahl.com (Stuart Hayes) (03/04/91)

Hello netmailers

I need some helping in telling a friend how to echo mail back to me from
fidonet.  I have successfully sent him mail by using the information in
the Internetwork Mail Guide.  I have not been able to impart to him properly
the method for returning mail to me.  Can some please describle in simple engli
sh, ie not the macros in the Mail Guide how to send mail from FIDONET to INTERN
ET?

Thanks for your time...
Stuart
--
Stuart Hayes       |                        | Disclaimer:   Above opinions
                   | szh20@amail.amdahl.com |     may not reflect those of
Amdahl Canada Ltd. |                        |  Amdahl Canada Ltd or Amdahl

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/05/91)

szh20@ccc.amdahl.com (Stuart Hayes) writes:

>the Internetwork Mail Guide.  I have not been able to impart to him properly
>the method for returning mail to me.  Can some please describle in simple
>english, ie not the macros in the Mail Guide how to send mail from
>FIDONET to INTERNET?

This is a little tricky, and the information does come from the Mail Guide...

#F fidonet
#T internet
#R user@domain
#I send to "uucp" at nearest gateway site
#I first line of message: "To: user@domain"

The trick lies in the system where the reply is to be posted to know who is
it's uucp gateway--this isn't always easy, and is something the sysop needs
to configure.

I would send a message (to myself) by entering...

From (in the Fidonet mail editor): Ralph Sims
To: uucp@1:343/8 (I'm just using this, as I have no idea who the Net 343
    gateway is--just an example).
Subject: Whatever

The first line of the text would read: To: halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu,
flush left, and containing a valid fqdn (fully-qualified domain name)
address.

The Fidonet magic spells will be invoked and the message speeds on its way.

--
                  halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

szh20@ccc.amdahl.com (Stuart Hayes) (03/07/91)

In article <BqXay1w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@seattle.edu
 (Ralph Sims) writes:
>This is a little tricky, and the information does come from the Mail Guide...
>
>#F fidonet
>#T internet
>#R user@domain
>#I send to "uucp" at nearest gateway site
>#I first line of message: "To: user@domain"
>
>The trick lies in the system where the reply is to be posted to know who is
>it's uucp gateway--this isn't always easy, and is something the sysop needs
>to configure.

Ahh... so I am required to know the fidonet address of the nearest UUCP
gateway.  Ok, I think I supplied that to him BUT, I will check to see if
we can get him another address, what the heck.

Can the first line of his message be:
To: szh20@amail.amdahl.com

Which is my internet address?

Thanks for the reply.

--

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/09/91)

szh20@ccc.amdahl.com (Stuart Hayes) writes:

> Can the first line of his message be:
> To: szh20@amail.amdahl.com

Yes, this SHOULD work.

> Which is my internet address?

The address you posted is a fully-qulified-domain-name (FQDN), which
SHOULD be recognized by all mailers above the status brain-dead.