        A message mailed to csn!cyan.csn.org!dcm had
        From:    kessner!david@csn.org (David Kessner)

Shouldent this say 'david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner)' ?  Despite
the fact that there is a mix of @'s and !'s in that...

Another message was sent to dbrown@ucsd.  It got there, but this is
part of his reply (between the '---------------'s)...
You're ``smart'' mailer gave me a broken return address.  This
is the addfress it said to reply to:
ogicse!unmvax!ncar.UCAR.EDU!scicom!bilanc!csn!kessner!david@ucsd.edu
I replied and it bounced somewhere (I'll give you it below.)

Dave

> Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 10:01:41 -0800
> From: unmvax!MAILER-DAEMON@ucsd.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
> Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
> To: dbrown@ece.UCSD.EDU

> <<< 550 <david%kessner%csn%bilanc%scicom@ncar.UCAR.EDU>... User unknown
> 550 ncar.UCAR.EDU!david%kessner%csn%bilanc%scicom... User unknown

Sorry for the length of this, but I didnt want to leave anything out that
might be important.

My SMAIL is configured with all default values (but with updated mail maps).

So what is wrong? I imagin that it is just a simple line in one of the config
files-- but the documentation is confusing for someone who isnt familiar with
sys admin of a UNIX machine.

Thanks in advance.				- David K

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

tron@Veritas.COM (Ronald S. Karr) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar9.063545.20567@kessner.denver.co.us> david@kessner.denver.co.us (David D. Kessner) writes:
>My From paths are a bit wrong, or at least lacking.  My machine is
>kessner.denver.co.us, but it is one hop away from the Internet (I UUCP with
>csn.org), FYI.  The here are a few From's:
>
>        A message mailed to csn!cyan.csn.org!dcm had
>        From:    kessner!david@csn.org (David Kessner)

This From: line was not generated by Smail running on kessner, it was
generated by the sendmail running on csn.  Assuming that you set your
hostnames correctly, the From: line delivered from your site to csn
should have been:

	From: david@kessner.denver.co.us

Existing sendmail configurations often do bad things with correct
messages generated by UUCP sites.  Nearly all of the sites that veritas
talks to run sendmail, and as a result, it is rare for me to receive a
message that contains any addresses which are simple domain addresses,
despite the fact that I use an RFC-conformant mailer, and many of the
users that I communicate with do as well.

One last note: according to the rules of RFC822 and RFC976, the From:
line that you mentioned should be replyable.
--
	tron |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  veritas!tron@apple.com
      tron@veritas.com		UUCPnet:  {amdahl,apple,pyramid}!veritas!tron