[comp.mail.misc] Help in reaching CompuServe

starbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu (aaron greenwood) (03/10/91)

I have an e-mail address of someone I wish to contact.  I am a novice at
sending mail.  Is there a way to make contact with some one with a CompuServe
Address.  Thank you for any help you can give.

Aaron J. Greenwood                 email: starbuck@ucrac1.ucr.edu
Dept of Biochemistry                      starbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu
University of Calafornia                  u8221@y1.sdsc.edu
Riverside, Ca. 92507               Tele:  (714) 787-3397

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) (03/10/91)

In article <12637@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, starbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu (aaron greenwood)
says:

>I have an e-mail address of someone I wish to contact.  I am a novice at
>sending mail.  Is there a way to make contact with some one with a CompuServe
>Address.  Thank you for any help you can give.

Subject: Addressing CompuServe Mail users

A message you sent to a CompuServe Mail user is being returned
because it could not be delivered due to an incorrect address.  The
correct method of addressing CompuServe Mail users is outlined below.

There are two types of CompuServe Mail addresses.  They can be
reached from the Internet as follows:

a) Members of the CompuServe Information Service have an address
   (a.k.a. User ID) of the form "xxxxx,yyyy", such as "70000,11".
   To send mail to such an address from the Internet, change the
   comma to a period and attach "@CompuServe.com".  For instance:
        70000.11@CompuServe.com

b) Members of organizations with a private CompuServe Mail area have
   an address of the form "organization:name", such as "ABC:J.SMITH".
   To send mail to such an address from the Internet, send it to
   "name@organization.CompuServe.com".  For instance:
        J.SMITH@ABC.CompuServe.com

   A few organizations have addresses which also include a department
   in the form "organization:department:name", such as
   "ABC:ACCTG:JOHN".  To send mail to such an address from the
   Internet, send to "name@department.organization.CompuServe.com".
   For instance:
        JOHN@ACCTG.ABC.CompuServe.com

There are also a number of special destinations available to users of
CompuServe Mail which are NOT accessible from the Internet,
including:

    Facsimile Delivery    (e.g. >FAX: )
    Postal Delivery       (e.g. >POSTAL: )
    Telex Delivery        (e.g. >TLX: )
    MCI Mail Delivery     (e.g. >MCIMAIL: )

Finally, please realize that only CompuServe Mail users have access
to our member directory.  Since there is no mechanism for you to
obtain addresses directly from CompuServe Incorporated, you should
obtain this information from the individuals with whom you wish to
correspond.  Thank you.

    Coordially,

        The Electronic Postmaster

        ************   Returned Message Follows   ************

Thanks For Your Help
Jeff Sherota
jrs@cblpe.att.com

gary@apexepa.UUCP (Gary Wisniewski) (03/11/91)

In article <12637@ucrmath.ucr.edu> starbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu (aaron greenwood) writes:
>I have an e-mail address of someone I wish to contact.  I am a novice at
>sending mail.  Is there a way to make contact with some one with a CompuServe
>Address.  Thank you for any help you can give.

CompuServe has an excellent Internet gateway.

To send to a CompuServe user, use their CompuServe account number with a
period instead of a comma, and then send to 'user@compuserve.com'.  For
example, my CompuServe account number is [76130,2374], and people
on Internet send to: 76130.2374@compuserve.com

A CompuServe user can easily reach Internet hosts as well.  If you are
on CompuServe, you use their standard "GO MAIL" mailer and prefix
all internet addresses with the string ">Internet:".  For example,
a CompuServe mail user can send mail to you with the address:

	>Internet: startbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu

This seems to work quite well and the mail delays are short if your
Internet or uucp site is well managed.
--
Gary Wisniewski              uunet!apexepa!gary
Apex Software Corporation    gary@apexepa.uucp          Phone: (412) 681-4343

liq@cs.fau.edu (Qiang Li) (03/11/91)

In article <12637@ucrmath.ucr.edu> starbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu (aaron greenwood) writes:
>I have an e-mail address of someone I wish to contact.  I am a novice at
>sending mail.  Is there a way to make contact with some one with a CompuServe
>Address.  Thank you for any help you can give.

Try to use the following format if the CompuServe Id is 70000,5555

70000.5555@CompuServe.Com

Good Luck.

Charlie Li