[comp.mail.misc] POP

tpersky@nih-csl.UUCP (Ted Persky) (02/23/90)

Would anyone have any information on POP, the Post
Office Protocol?  All I've been able to find is
the RFC (918).  Have any vendors developed implementations
of this?

Sincerely,

--
	Ted Persky			phone: (301) 496-2963
	Building 12A, Room 2031		uucp: uunet!nih-csl!tpersky

jromine@ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (02/24/90)

In article <1367@nih-csl.UUCP> tpersky@nih-csl.UUCP (Ted Persky) writes:
>Would anyone have any information on POP, the Post
>Office Protocol?  All I've been able to find is the RFC (918).

Well, to start, there's three versions of the POP.  They're described
by RFC918 (v1), RFC937 (v2) RFC1081/1082 (v3).  POP V1 is considered
obsoleted by V2.

POP V3 is also known as MH/POP.  The MH user agent implements a POP3
client and server.
--
John Romine

stryker@cca.ucsf.edu (Michael P. Stryker) (03/09/91)

Does anyone know of a public domain or cheap (to universities, at least)
Post Office Protocol (POP) client for MSDOS machines that would function
like Eudora does for Macintoshes, reading and sending mail on smtp hosts
that run the POPServer, communicating over cheap ethernet cards (like
the Western Digital 8003) or serial lines, and running in the background
if desired (as a TSR) to check for incoming mail at user-selected intervals?

If you email replies to me, I will summarize for the net in a couple of
weeks.

	Michael P. Stryker
	Department of Physiology      internet: stryker@cca.ucsf.edu
	University of California      bitnet: stryker@ucsfcca
	San Francisco, CA 94143-0444  fax: (415)476-4929

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (03/12/91)

In article <3376@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> stryker@cca.ucsf.edu (Michael P. Stryker) writes:
>Does anyone know of a public domain or cheap (to universities, at least)
>Post Office Protocol (POP) client for MSDOS machines

We may also be doing a client here using WATTCP; not sure yet, will announce
it if we do.

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca