[comp.mail.misc] MS Mail

m21198@mwunix.mitre.org (John McHarry) (03/16/91)

We are thinking about putting Microsoft Mail on a Macintosh Phonenet lan
that is gatewayed to a corporate lan carrying SMTP hosts.  What is the
simplest way to allow a gateway so that we can exchange mail with the SMTP
community on the backbone?  (I already have MacPost working on the system,
so the connectivity is not an issue.) Thanks.

John McHarry McHarry@MITRE.org

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (03/16/91)

Try GatorMail from cayman (info@cayman.com), I'm not sure I would call it
simple, because very little in internetworking is,
but it works well, and they have a tremendous customer service
organization to help you through things.

We use it extensively.

One nice feature is you can use the Microsoft Mail document attachment
capability and SMTP between two gators at each end of the Internet and
it works.  This is a nice feature if you don't want to ante up to do
Wide Area AppleTalk Networking (WAAN).

Marty
---------

mmuegel@fwhnm02.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com (Michael S. Muegel) (03/16/91)

In article <m21198.669071577@mwunix.mitre.org> m21198@mwunix.mitre.org (John McHarry) writes:
>We are thinking about putting Microsoft Mail on a Macintosh Phonenet lan
>that is gatewayed to a corporate lan carrying SMTP hosts.  What is the
>simplest way to allow a gateway so that we can exchange mail with the SMTP
>community on the backbone?  (I already have MacPost working on the system,
>so the connectivity is not an issue.) Thanks.

While I am not the local expert on this, we use GatorMail here. It provides
for both incoming and outgoing SMTP and is specifically designed to interface
with Microsoft Mail. From playing with the admin screens once it looks like
a breeze to set up.

-Mike