[comp.mail.misc] What is PROFS??

mzw_t@hpujsda.HP.COM (Matsuzawa Takashi) (03/14/91)

Hi,

Does anybody know how to send/recieve e-mail messages to/from
a network called 'PROFS'?  My friend is saying that her company
is connected to (IBM's?) network PROFS so that if I can get
access to PROFS I can send messages to her.

I have no idea of what PROFS is. Is it a public netowrk, or just
a name of IBM's network product?  Any suggestion is welcomed.
BTW, her company is Rhone-Poulenc Japan, a subsidiary of French
trading company.

---
Takashi Matsuzawa,
Japan CPO,
Yokogawa Hewlett-Packard.
mzw_t@hpujisa.hp.com

darwish@eng.umd.edu (Mazen Mokhtar) (03/16/91)

In article <56720001@hpujsda.HP.COM> mzw_t@hpujsda.HP.COM (Matsuzawa Takashi) writes:
>Hi,
Hello.

>Does anybody know how to send/recieve e-mail messages to/from
>a network called 'PROFS'?  My friend is saying that her company
>is connected to (IBM's?) network PROFS so that if I can get
>access to PROFS I can send messages to her.
>
>I have no idea of what PROFS is. Is it a public netowrk, or just
>a name of IBM's network product?  Any suggestion is welcomed.
>BTW, her company is Rhone-Poulenc Japan, a subsidiary of French
>trading company.

PROFS is an IBM/VM office management system. It is not a network in itself.
The person who receives your message can receive it with or without PROFS.
One can think of PROFS as a combination calendar/mail manager/shell...

Your friend is almost certainly on bitnet. Sent her mail on her bitnet
address and she should receive it (in her reader, not through the normal
PROFS mail, but that should be OK.)

szh20@ccc.amdahl.com (Stuart Hayes) (03/19/91)

In article <56720001@hpujsda.HP.COM> mzw_t@hpujsda.HP.COM (Matsuzawa Takashi) writes:

>I have no idea of what PROFS is. Is it a public netowrk, or just
>a name of IBM's network product?  Any suggestion is welcomed.
>BTW, her company is Rhone-Poulenc Japan, a subsidiary of French
>trading company.

PROFs is IBM's electronic mail offering.  It runs under VM.  Though I
understand a version of it now called Office Vision, runs as a CICS
application under MVS.  IBM usually maintains a connection to its customer
base so that IBM's account teams can mail to their customers.  It is
usually not possible for customers to mail one another, to the best of my
knowledge.  If it controlled anything like IBMLINK, it is very secure type
of a system IBM<>CUSTOMER1, IBM<>CUSTOMER2, but NOT CUSTOMER1<>CUSTOMER2.

So I don't believe you can email, through this connection.

Regards...
--
Stuart Hayes       | szh20@juts.ccc.amdahl.com |Neither Amdahl Canada nor
                   |  szh20@amail.amdahl.com   | Amdahl Corp necessarily
Amdahl Canada Ltd. | ...Available elsewhere... | hold the same views as me