[comp.mail.misc] What I know about PROFS

cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) (03/15/91)

PROFS is not so much a network as a software package.  I used PROFS when I was
working for IBM a few years ago.

IBM has a fantastic internal network.  This network extends to customers of IBM
who pay megabucks to have access to IBM.  PROFS is akin to a huge office
system, with email, wp, printing, dbms, kitchen sinks, and other items thrown
in.

IBM *is* connected to the outside world.  Hearsay has it that the IBM site in
the Triangle, NC, is the IBM network gateway.

However, while people on the internal IBM network can send email to anyone
around the globe (and on the IBM net) , IBM is very strict about giving anyone
access to external networks.  For instance, when I was working in
Las Colinas, I had to "apply" for a external-email-allowed account.  Without
it, I could neither send or receive email from external nets.

I understand that this process continues today.

--
Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com
  Harris Adacom Corporation      cluther@enigma.dallas.haus.com

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (03/15/91)

>IBM has a fantastic internal network.  This network extends to customers of IBM
>who pay megabucks to have access to IBM.  PROFS is akin to a huge office
>system, with email, wp, printing, dbms, kitchen sinks, and other items thrown
>in.

The network that the customers are connected to is called IIN, the IBM
Information Network, which is "headquarterd" in Boca Raton, FL.  I believe
that this is 1+ Billion Independant Business Unit (IBU)

>IBM *is* connected to the outside world.  Hearsay has it that the IBM site in
>the Triangle, NC, is the IBM network gateway.

IBM's internal network is connected to PSINet in White Plains, NY, it
provides them with electronic mail access only to the Internet.

>However, while people on the internal IBM network can send email to anyone
>around the globe (and on the IBM net) , IBM is very strict about giving anyone
>access to external networks.  For instance, when I was working in
>Las Colinas, I had to "apply" for a external-email-allowed account.  Without
>it, I could neither send or receive email from external nets.
>
>I understand that this process continues today.

As reported elsewhere, it appears that this is now a simple on-line registry
process inside IBM, which now requires only first level management approval.
But again, email only.

Marty

steve@panews (Steve DeJarnett) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar15.035407.24666@supernet.dallas.haus.com> cluther@supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>IBM has a fantastic internal network.

	Extensive is a better word for it.

>IBM *is* connected to the outside world.  Hearsay has it that the IBM site in
>the Triangle, NC, is the IBM network gateway.

	As has been previously mentioned, IBM sites on what most people call
PROFS (kinda similar to refering to the Internet as 'mailx' :-), which is more
appropriately called VNET, can get email access to the Internet by getting a
(electronic) signature from their manager.

	Certain sites around (specifically IBM Research and the groups working
on Unix -- AWD and Personal Systems Programming) have Real(TM) Internet
connections (although not everyone has direct access, for various reasons).
Access, again, requires a manager's approval.  A few other sites, I believe,
have various UUCP connections.

>Las Colinas, I had to "apply" for a external-email-allowed account.  Without
>it, I could neither send or receive email from external nets.
>
>I understand that this process continues today.

	To some extent.  Depends where you are...