[comp.mail.misc] Help!

simstim@milton.acs.washington.edu ([]) (02/12/90)

I have been experiencing a little problem with various individuals
sending me a substansial amount of unwanted email. Does anyone have
a good hack to refuse email from particular users?

The system is a Sequent S-81 running Dynix. I use the default BSD mail
system.

Please email me direct with the responses.

Thanks.

- Steve

simstim@milton.u.washington.edu

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (02/13/90)

In article <1856@milton.acs.washington.edu>, simstim@milton.acs.washington.edu ([]) writes:
> I have been experiencing a little problem with various individuals
> sending me a substansial amount of unwanted email. Does anyone have
> a good hack to refuse email from particular users?

Some time ago I implemented a rather neat hack (if I may say so) that
solved such problems in an interesting way.  I converted incoming mail
from several mailers into news, so that, for instance, my mail was sent
to the to.jc newsgroup, which was at the head of my .newsrc file.  The
news directory was owned by the user, read/write by the user and the
news group, and write-only to the rest of the world.

The rn users especially liked this hack; it meant that their kill file
could be used to ignore mail from known junk-mail sources, occasionally
including much of the local bureaucracy.

Of course, I didn't carry the code away with me.  I've occasionally
wished I had, given the klutzy mailers on most systems.  On the other
hand, it wouldn't be hard to do it again.  Go ahead...

(Let's see, there's gotta be some problem with this approach; else why
are mailers and news kept apart everywhere?  I assume someone will tell
me why this is an idiotic idea.  ;-)

--
John Chambers ...!{harvard,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!jc

[Sorry, no clever saying today.]

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (02/15/90)

According to simstim@milton.acs.washington.edu ([]):
>I have been experiencing a little problem with various individuals
>sending me a substansial amount of unwanted email. Does anyone have
>a good hack to refuse email from particular users?

Sure.  Use my Deliver program (currently at 2.0 patch 5; patch 6 out
soon).  Delivery files are shell scripts which control delivery of
each message.  A good one for filtering unwanted users is:

	:

	u="$1"
	from="`header -f from $HEADER`"

	# Kill mail from junk mail sources.
	case "$from" in
	*bozo@bozosite* ) echo DROP; exit ;;
	*kludge@hacksite* ) echo DROP; exit ;;
	esac

	# Oh goody, we keep it.
	echo "$u"

Deliver 2.0, at finer archive sites everywhere.

Not Just Another Deliver Hacker,
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
         "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (11/01/90)

I have a friend with an MCI mail account. I have an account number (looks like a
phone number!) and an account name but I have no idea how to send mail to him. If
anyone can help I would be very greatfull.
Sender: smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu (Scott McGee)

Scott

  All opinions are my own!    |  A cannon is a large machine that makes a lot
  (Unless I have been bribed  |  of noise and indulges in negatively-intended
  to use someone elses!)      |  mechanical interaction at a distance.

conslt16@zeus.unomaha.edu (03/24/91)

Hello,

	Anyone who has ANY information regarding Animal Laboratory testing
  that you can spare, PLEASE! PLEASE send it As SOON AS POSSIBLE!  I need it
  within the next week, AT THE Latest!!! Please,  CASE STUDIES WOULD BE
  MOST USEFUL, SHOWING ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT LABORATORY TESTING OF ANIMALS,
  PRO OR CON, I NEEDE'M RIGHT O'WAY!   ALSO,  I WILL HAVE TO USE SOME PRIME
  SOURCES, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE TOO, PLEASE SEND THEM. ANYTHING
  WITHOUT PROPER CREDITING OF SOURCE WILL NOT BE USED, BUT READ.

						THANKYOU IN ADVANCE,

						ALEX TOWNSEND,
				Internet: CONSLT16@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU
				Bitnet:   CONSLT16@UNOMA1.BITNET