[comp.mail.misc] mail to Prodigy

phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) (03/27/91)

Can mail be sent from the internet to Prodigy and back?
--
                                           Lee Phillips
                                           phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil

ptrei@mbunix.mitre.org (Trei) (03/27/91)

In article <DrPHILLIPS.91Mar26133225@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil> phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) writes:
>Can mail be sent from the internet to Prodigy and back?
>                                           Lee Phillips

NO

Prodigy possesses the following characteristics:

* Lack of communication with the outside world.

* Boards of censors who cut anything deemed "controversial" from Prodigy's
  bboards, including anything critical of Prodigy's policies.

* Suppression of internal communication: Email is charged at 25 cents per
  message beyond 1 message/day.

* Exile of dissidents (their accounts are cancelled).

     I used to describe Prodigy as the Albania of commercial bboards, but
the Tirana regime has lightened up a little since then.

						Peter Trei

OBDisclaimer: My employer pays me for my skills, not my opinions.

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/27/91)

In article <DrPHILLIPS.91Mar26133225@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil> phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) writes:
>Can mail be sent from the internet to Prodigy and back?

I seriously doubt it.  Prodigy is so paranoid about what gets on their system
that all public messages are censored _before_ they can be posted, and their
computers check out EMail looking for "offensive" words.  For them to hook
up to one of the nets would be like anti-matter embracing matter.

rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) (03/27/91)

Quite simply, prodigy sucks if you've ever used the internet.
When I used it I remember:
  1)  No "chat" mode to talk to other users
  2)  One bandwidth-hogging advertisement per a screen
  3)  A complete waste of ten dollars a month
yuk.
--
rauscher@rutgers.edu                RPO 5997 PO 5063, New Brunswick, NJ 08903

mattl@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (FaceMan) (03/27/91)

In article <DrPHILLIPS.91Mar26133225@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil> phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) writes:
>Can mail be sent from the internet to Prodigy and back?

   I'd like to know too..
mattl@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu ! Swapping memory to disk is virtually indespensible..
mal6315@RITVAX           ! new book: "#define art of C programming..."