[comp.mail.misc] The last days of the MCImail - Internet gateway?

kevin@exocet.mentec.ie (03/25/91)

Hi netlanders...

I've heard a rumour that MCI are going to pull the plug on their
Internet gateway. Seems like they don't appreciate all that "free" mail
going through their network.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin.

Kevin O'Farrell          | Internet/EUnet:    Kevin@mentec.ie
Technical Services Group.| Janet:             Kevin%mentec.ie@earn-relay
Mentec Computer Systems. | PSI-Mail:          PSI%272436059082::Kevin
Pottery Road,Dun Leary,  | MCImail:           KOFARRELL / 390-4994
Co Dublin. Ireland       | Voice:             +353-1-858444

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (03/28/91)

In article <2707.27ee1cfd@exocet.mentec.ie> kevin@exocet.mentec.ie writes:
>I've heard a rumour that MCI are going to pull the plug on their
>Internet gateway....

The places to ask this question are your MCI customer representative and
postmaster@mcimail.com.

--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute

m21198@mwunix.mitre.org (John McHarry) (03/28/91)

kevin@exocet.mentec.ie writes:

>I've heard a rumour that MCI are going to pull the plug on their
>Internet gateway. Seems like they don't appreciate all that "free" mail
>going through their network.

I don't know what MCI is planning, but I don't think the Internet gateway
is any different from any other inter-mail-system gateway.  The sender pays
his network (or doesn't).  The receiving network is not paid.  Presumably
there is some symmetry in the traffic, and the receiving network is made
whole by charging for the replies.

This can be troublesome in a couple of cases:  If a network is used as a
bridge between two other networks, it does not have any opportunity to
collect.  I think this is blocked in a lot of cases.  The other would be
where there is a lot more traffic into than out of a network.  This may be
a problem if MCI Mail customers are subscribing to Internet lists.  Everyone
would probably be better off if they could find a way to bill the recipient.

solely my hast opinions

John McHarry McHarry@MITRE.org
where there is a se

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (03/29/91)

In article <17333@venera.isi.edu> cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) writes:

:The places to ask this question are your MCI customer representative and
:postmaster@mcimail.com.

An inquiry was made.  Here's the result:

---
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 18:54 GMT
From: MCI Help <0002671163@mcimail.com>
Cc: mjo <mjo@ais.org>
Subject: RE: Internet Gateway

Thanks for your message. I have confirmed with our Internet contacts here
at MCI Mail that the rumor you described is false. We have no plans to drop
the gateway with Internet at this time.

Regards,
Carol - MCI Help

----