[comp.mail.misc] Internet<-->X.400 names

hal@manta.mel.dit.csiro.au (Harold A. Miller) (04/04/91)

>From: lan_csse@netrix.nac.dec.com (CSSE LAN Test Account)

>It is quite legal, and not hard to program, to have the user interface
>accept addresses in multiple formats, parse them, figure out which of
>the mailers can handle a job, and convert the address to that mailer's
>format.  This is, for example, what the smail package does.  Sendmail
>also has the capability (if you can figure out how to change sendmail.cf
>to do it right ;-), and some vendors even supply sendmail configured to
>do this.

I do this with sendmail.  I don't do it on a large scale, as I don't have
a generalised need, but I do some domain-address--X.400-address conversion.
I have a fax gateway that allows me to use a simple domain-style address
(from the user's standpoint) and deliver to an X.400 fax service.  I also
have a little email that goes to some X.400 sites.  It isn't hard.

HM
|Hal Miller, DIT, CSIRO, | Networking Environments Project               |
|55 Barry St, Carlton,   | (TEL) +61 3 347 8644   (FAX) +61 3 347 8987   |
|VIC 3053, Australia     | Internet:hal@mel.dit.csiro.au                 |