[comp.mail.misc] Mailing Lists

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (07/27/90)

I now have a 100+ name distribution list which I need to send mail to.
Unfortunately, Berkeley mail and ELM seem to choke if I try to alias
something that big.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how
I'm supposed to send to this list?

Thanks --

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

kseshadr@quasar.intel.com (Kishore Seshadri) (07/30/90)

In article <23393@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, isle@eleazar (Ken Hancock) writes:
>I now have a 100+ name distribution list which I need to send mail to.
>Unfortunately, Berkeley mail and ELM seem to choke if I try to alias
>something that big.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how
>I'm supposed to send to this list?

Try splitting this into several aliases and then having an alias for
all the aliases. I think what you've run into is not a limitation of
mail, but a limitation of dbm...

Kishore Seshadri
kishore@mipos3.intel.com
Kishore Seshadri (Speaking for myself)      Intel Corp., Santa Clara, CA
CSNET: kseshadr@mipos3.intel.com ARPA: kseshadr%mipos3.intel.com@relay.cs.net
UUCP:{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!kseshadr

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (07/31/90)

>In article <23393@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, isle@eleazar (Ken Hancock) writes:
>>I now have a 100+ name distribution list which I need to send mail to.
>>Unfortunately, Berkeley mail and ELM seem to choke if I try to alias

Use an include:

foofans: :include:/some/dir/foofansfile

have the addresses in foofansfile, one to a line.

--

hickeyd@ul.ie (11/06/90)

add the user to a list kept locally. If not , it should then subscribe
to the list. It should be as 'automated' as possible.

	I have envisaged using the 'Deliver package' (part of PMDF), but
if anyone has any other suggestions, I would welcome them. We are using
Pmdf to send/receive external email, on our Vax8530 with VMS 5.3-1.

	Thanks

	Denis
Denis Hickey	ITD	University of Limerick	Tel:   061-333644 x2365
						Email: hickeyd@ul.ie
   sendmail on UNIX that deals with taking the message and exploding
   it onto the list, adding all the appropriate headers etc.

2. What's the "correct" format for mailing list archives made available
   by anonymous ftp? Should it be one message per file, or one big
   file or something else? Whatever the consensus is I'd appreciate
   pointers to software for UNIX that handles that situation.

Thanks		Mat

Matthew Waugh			waugh@dg-rtp.dg.com
RTP Network Services 		{world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!waugh
Data General Corp.
RTP, NC. (919)-248-6344

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.125140.7442@dg-rtp.dg.com> waugh@rtpnet05.rtp.dg.com (Matthew Waugh) writes:

   2. What's the "correct" format for mailing list archives made available
      by anonymous ftp? Should it be one message per file, or one big
      file or something else? Whatever the consensus is I'd appreciate
      pointers to software for UNIX that handles that situation.

Depends on the volume of the list.  For many lists, one file per month
in tar format, with an author/subject index in a separate file, would
be more than enough.  Other lists might be better to be one file per
year.

On a more experimental note you could look at the stuff on
	ftp.cs.toronto.edu:/indexed-archives/
which makes provisions for putting a full-text index onto each month's
collection.

--Ed