[comp.mail.misc] Usenet Mail & Map updating is broken and needs to be fixed

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (04/12/91)

In <280339EE.3894@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva):
>>(I'm tired of defending an easily understood phrase against nit-picking)
>
>Unfortunately for us all, Peter seems to think that the oxymoronic
>phrase "Usenet mail" is "easily understood."  Au contraire, mon frere.

Chip (off the old what?)

I thought much better of you.  You've been around, you have seen the net
grow from a child to an adolescent (though not from infancy as some
have :-).  Simply because YOU have a different point of view that
confines "Usenet" to a small subset of the greater internet is no reason
to call "usenet mail" an oxymoron as if that made it invalid.  An
oxymoron is useful in defining something that isn't quite one thing, and
it "ain't quite that either" (viz. military intelligence).

Having skipped past parts of this thread before coming back and
re-reading it, the phrase a useful moniker for mail that isn't really
internet type mail, but it isn't really just uucp mail either.  Of
course a formal definition of the phrase is close to impossible, but the
implications and indicia of the phrase make it useful anyway.

Additionally, since usenet mail is highly dependent on the pathalias
maps (published in comp.mail.maps) and the moderators of that group are
not apparently responding in a timely manner to input from the
consumers, it is appropriate to complain about it in this forum
(news.admin) AND in comp.mail.misc.

For the record, my name is on the entries of several sites here in
central north carolina and I sent in some updates over four weeks ago.
The u.usa.nc.1 map has been published at least once since then (my
archive copy is 04mar91 and its not currently in the active maps in the
group either)  WITHOUT the updates.  Also, there was no acknowledgement
from either uucpmap@rutgers or jessea@dynasys for receiving the
information.

Does the Project need a new NC coordinator?  Perhaps they should appeal
in public for more volunteers.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]