[comp.mail.misc] Simple E-mail interface

taylorf@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov (Frank S. Taylor IV 283-4278) (04/16/91)

I am part of a working group to encourage the use of E-mail.  We are looking
for a simple interface for sending/receiving mail through an X based interface.

I am looking at the xmh program, but this interface is a bit more complex
than desired.  The interface we need is for users who have never used E-mail
before.  I'd appreciate hearing about applications (commercial or public-
domain) which fit this category.

Frank S. Taylor IV  -  McDonnell Douglas Space Systems Company
16055 Space Center Blvd., Houston, Tx  77062
(713) 283-4278 (Voice)  ||  (713) 283-4020 (Fax)
taylorf@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (04/17/91)

taylorf@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov (Frank S. Taylor IV 283-4278) writes:

> I am part of a working group to encourage the use of E-mail.  We are looking
> for a simple interface for sending/receiving mail through an X based
> interface.

The program xmail was posted to comp.sources.misc volume 6.  The blurb
follows:

   Introducing xmail, the X Window System interface to the mail program.
   Copyright 1990 by National Semiconductor Corporation

   Author:  Michael C. Wagnitz - National Semiconductor Corporation

   xmail is my attempt to provide an X11 alternative to the Sun mailtool
   application, both in the Sunview and XView implementations.  Its not
   as fancy in some ways as the newer XView version of mailtool, and it
   does not attempt to provide all of the capabilities of mailtool, but
   does have some features which I found to be practical.  For one, it
   provides built in help information on each of the xmail sub-windows.
   It also supports the user preferred editor when creating messages,
   utilizing the value in the user's process or mail EDITOR or VISUAL
   environment variable, if found.  The man page has additional details.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz