[comp.mail.misc] Getting a copy of Mailer-Daemon messages

heiko@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Heiko Schlichting) (04/17/91)

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:

>I would like to get a copy of the MAILER-DAEMON messages generates by
>several machine when they receive a bad message.

I'm looking for this too - but I need a solution for smail 3.1.20.
Any idea how to enable this feature? The source of smail already implement
this but how to enable?

Thanks, Heiko.
--
 |~|    Heiko Schlichting                   | Freie Universitaet Berlin
 / \    heiko@fub.uucp                      | Institut fuer Organische Chemie
/FUB\   heiko@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de    | Takustrasse 3
`---'   phone +49 30 838-2677; fax ...-5163 | D-1000 Berlin 33  Germany

In article <VL3PESH@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de> admin@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de writes:

>>I would like to get a copy of the MAILER-DAEMON messages generates by
>>several machine when they receive a bad message.

>I'm looking for this too - but I need a solution for smail 3.1.20.
>Any idea how to enable this feature? The source of smail already implement
>this but how to enable?

I don't think there is any configuration option to allow this, but the
code for error returns is all in notify.c and it looks like it would
be trivial to add "|| return_to_sender" to the conditional check
of "send_to_postmaster" on line 634.  You might want to skip the
write_body() under these conditions.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us