[comp.mail.misc] Email to BIX??

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (04/11/91)

Is it possible to email to someone on BIX from Internet? Just
curious. Please email replies. Thanks in advance.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.154134.272@otago.ac.nz>, stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:

> Is it possible to email to someone on BIX from Internet? Just
> curious. Please email replies. Thanks in advance.

If anyone replies, please post here, too, so the rest of us who
might be interested can see the answer!

--
Ken Hardy		uunet!racerx!ken		ken@racerx.UUCP

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (04/12/91)

ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) writes:

>In article <1991Apr11.154134.272@otago.ac.nz>, stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>>
>> Is it possible to email to someone on BIX from Internet? Just
>> curious. Please email replies. Thanks in advance.
No, there is not.  To reach some BYTE administrators, you can get
a hold of their Internet addresses, but these
are not normally given out. BIX does not have an Internet linkup
so that general users can get out to the Internet.  I think the
reason is that it's hard for commercial (for profit) services like
BIX to get Internet connections, since it's all such a non-profit
sort of thing.
I just looked up the BYTE.COM domain in the DDN database and here's
what I got:

BYTE Magazine (BYTE-DOM)
   One Phonix Mill Lane
   Peterborough, NH 03458

   Domain Name: BYTE.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Smith, Benjamin  (BS240)  BEN@BYTE.COM
      (603) 924-2575

So if you want to contact Byte editors, that's one way.
--
David Lemson   University of Illinois Computing Services Consultant
Internet : lemson@uiuc.edu         UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson

In article <568@racerx.UUCP>, ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr11.154134.272@otago.ac.nz>, stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
|> >
|> > Is it possible to email to someone on BIX from Internet? Just
|> > curious. Please email replies. Thanks in advance.
|>
|> If anyone replies, please post here, too, so the rest of us who
|> might be interested can see the answer!

  The question of how to mail to BIX is answered in the periodic
"Inter-Network Mail Guide" posting to comp.mail.misc, which says:

#F internet
#T bix
#R user
#I send to "user@dcibix.das.net"

If this article has expired at your site, you can get a copy of it using the
instructions at the end of this message.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

        Available via anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu (18.72.1.58)
        in the file

        /pub/usenet/comp.mail.misc/Inter-Network_Mail_Guide_(23_Feb_90)

        Available from mail-server@pit-manager.mit.edu by sending a message
        containing

        send usenet/comp.mail.misc/Inter-Network_Mail_Guide_(23_Feb_90)

        Send a message containing "help" to get general information about the
        mail server.

jfowler@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.210949.25127@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>        Subject: Inter-Network Mail Guide (23 Feb 90)
>        Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
>        Available via anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu (18.72.1.58)
>        in the file
>        /pub/usenet/comp.mail.misc/Inter-Network_Mail_Guide_(23_Feb_90)

A more up-to-date (6 July 90) version of the Inter-Network Mail
Guide is available via anonymous FTP from Ra.MsState.Edu
(130.18.80.10 or 130.18.96.37).  It is in the file
/pub/docs/internetwork-mail-guide.

(They have some interesting Internet documents, too, in
/pub/docs/internet.)

Anybody have a version updated since last July?

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu

jt@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Julian Thomas) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.210543.1374@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) writes:
>ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) writes:
<stuff deleted>
>....  I think the
>reason is that it's hard for commercial (for profit) services like
>BIX to get Internet connections, since it's all such a non-profit
>sort of thing.

Actually, there is precedent.  Both CompuServe and MCIMail are
interconnected (for mail only) with Internet in both directions.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* JTdidit - from Julian Thomas jt@donald.aix.kingston.ibm.com
Inside IBM: jt@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com  or JT at KGNAIX
Snailmail: 83ZA/988 IBM DSD Kingston Compuserve: 72355,20  MCIMAIL:  173-6393
--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* JTdidit - from Julian Thomas jt@donald.aix.kingston.ibm.com
Inside IBM: jt@giverny.aix.kingston.ibm.com  or JT at KGNAIX

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.210949.25127@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  The question of how to mail to BIX is answered in the periodic
>"Inter-Network Mail Guide" posting to comp.mail.misc, which says:
>
>#F internet
>#T bix
>#R user
>#I send to "user@dcibix.das.net"

But this only works if the BIX user is subscribing to dasnet as an
additional service.  Most BIX users do not take this option due to the
extra cost.  If you try to send email to a BIX user who doesn't subscribe
to dasnet, your message will simply be swallowed into a black hole.  It
won't bounce back to you, and the recipient won't get it.

I spent several frustrating weeks trying to send mail to someone I know on
BIX, thinking that the problem was how I routed the message to dasnet (I
have to use the a!b!c!d!e style of address, not the user@site form).
Finally a former BIX administrator posted the reason for my difficulties
in news.newusers.questions.

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich   (alex@bilver.UUCP)
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L. Hansen) (04/15/91)

<< ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) writes:
<< ....  I think the reason is that it's hard for commercial (for profit)
<< services like BIX to get Internet connections, since it's all such a
<< non-profit sort of thing.

No, the Internet commercial business prohibition does not apply. The commercial
services are like telephone common carriers: they provide connectivity, but the
individual is still responsible for the content.

< From: jt@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Julian Thomas)
< Actually, there is precedent.  Both CompuServe and MCIMail are
< interconnected (for mail only) with Internet in both directions.

AT&T Mail has fully been connected since the end of last year.

					Tony Hansen
			    hansen@pegasus.att.com, tony@attmail.com
				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.133520.253@cbnewsk.att.com> hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L. Hansen) writes:

  No, the Internet commercial business prohibition does not apply. The
  commercial services are like telephone common carriers: they provide
  connectivity, but the individual is still responsible for the
  content.

None of the commercial internet service providers have actually
applied for common carrier status, though; that takes a lot of hard
work and legal fees to accomplish.

The closest thing is to register (with the FCC?) as an "enhanced
service provider", which launches you into a big grey area of the law
and doesn't seem to be regulated very aggressively.  I don't have the
details on what if anything this buys you except perhaps piece of mind
for your lawyers.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

"With all of the attention and publicity focused on gigabit networks,
not much notice has been given to small and largely unfunded research
efforts which are studying innovative approaches for dealing with
technical issues within the constraints of economic science."
							RFC 1216

hanan@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (Hanan Herzog) (04/23/91)

This message is in reponse to those who inquired about whether email could
be send from internet to BIX (Byte Information exchange). This CAN be done
in this format:

user@dcibix.das.net

Thant should do it. Let me know how it turns out. I have a whole list
of gateways from internet/to internet and between at least 15 other nets.
I can post it if you want.

dweissman@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (WiseGuy) (04/25/91)

In article <1400@galaxia.Newport.RI.US>, hanan@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (Hanan Herzog) writes...
^
^This message is in reponse to those who inquired about whether email could
^be send from internet to BIX (Byte Information exchange). This CAN be done
^in this format:
^
^user@dcibix.das.net
^
^Thant should do it. Let me know how it turns out. I have a whole list
^of gateways from internet/to internet and between at least 15 other nets.
^I can post it if you want.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and ................incorrect too!

DASnet is a for-fee service ($$$) that links many commercial email systems
around the world.  Since it is for-fee, either the sender or recipient must
be a Subscriber.  The address "user@dcibix.das.net" can only be used by
DASnet subscribers to reach anyone at BIX.  Individual BIX users who are
DASnet subscribers have an individual domain address.  this would have to
be given by them, as any message from a non-Subscriber would be 'collect'.
Dave Weissman - Broadband and FDDI LAN Operations Group

Snail mail:                       NSI DECNET (SPAN) -  6153::DWEISSMAN
   Code 543.8                     NSI TCP/IP        -  dweissman@128.183.112.2
   Goddard Space Flight Center    SPRINTnet's X.400 -
   Greenbelt, Maryland 20771      (C:USA,A:TELEMAIL,P:GSFC,FN:DAVID,SN:WEISSMAN)

*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*

  I don't speak for nor represent the views of NASA or my company although
  they would both be happy if I just shut up for once.........

*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*DISCLAIMER*

ac999321@umbc5.umbc.edu (ac999321) (04/25/91)

In article <1400@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> hanan@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (Hanan Herzog) writes:

>This message is in reponse to those who inquired about whether email could
>be send from internet to BIX (Byte Information exchange). This CAN be done
>in this format:
>
>user@dcibix.das.net
>
>Thant should do it. Let me know how it turns out. I have a whole list

Won't always work.  I just tried sending mail to my bix address and it
didn't go through.  When I contacted BIX about it, they told me that
it was necessary to subscribe to the services of dasnet in order to
send/receive e-mail from/to the net.  In addition, for this service,
there is a $33.50 subscription fee, plus a $4.50/month service charge,
_PLUS_ you have to pay 32 cents for every message that you send OR that
you _receive_, and that is only for the first 1000 characters; there is
an extra fee for each additional 1000 chars.  Furthermore, they reserve
the right to edit your messages, should they deem it necessary (eg- due
to illegal contents, copyright violations, storage space restrictions),
etc.

Anyone know of a less expensive means of accessing the net indirectly?

Robert D. Davis           # Any opinions expressed above are my own
+1-301-744-7964           # and not those of my computer systems.
ac999321@umbc5.umbc.edu   #-------------------------------------------

wurton@well.sf.ca.us (William L. Urton) (04/26/91)

hanan@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (Hanan Herzog) writes:

>This message is in reponse to those who inquired about whether email could
>be send from internet to BIX (Byte Information exchange). This CAN be done
>in this format:

>user@dcibix.das.net

>Thant should do it. Let me know how it turns out. I have a whole list
>of gateways from internet/to internet and between at least 15 other nets.
>I can post it if you want.
I'm afraid that this is incomplete.  The only connection between BIX and
the outside world is through DASNET, a commercial service that interconnects
alot of email networks.  If a person on bix has a DASNET account, she/he can
be reached from bitnet/internet  using an address of the form
     [bix user name]@(dasnet computer name).DAS.NET
If a person on bix doesn't have a dasnet account, then they can't be reached
directly from internet/bitnet.  (knowledge comes from personal experience, I'm
on bix as wurton, and used to have a dasnet account until I hooked up to the
WELL. I can recommend dasnet's service, the reason I dropped it is that the
WELL takes care of my email needs.)  I hope this clear up the situation a
bit.
Bill Urton-wurton@well.sf.ca.us