[comp.mail.misc] INTERBIT ADDRESS

seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) (04/27/91)

 Could someone please send me the format and address for sending mail
through Interbit?

  I want to configure my mailer so that it sends all BITNET mail to the
correct address, rather than having to have my backbone do it.

 So... I need to know how mail is addressed to Interbit..

    Is it:

        user%node@interbit

  Any help is appreciated... Reply via mail please.

Sean

-------
Sean Petty                      |INTERNET: undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com
                                |    UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!seanp
"In order to make anything from |    ICBM: 39.58.1' North  75.61.1' West
 scratch, you must first create |   50/50: seanp@undrground.UUCP
 the universe." - Carl Sagan    |          seanp@amix.commodore.com

In article <qTq211w164w@undrground.UUCP> undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) writes:
> Could someone please send me the format and address for sending mail
>through Interbit?

 I don't believe INTERBIT exists.  Some of the BITNET software uses
INTERBIT internally.  But it is best understood as a keyword used to direct
messages to the nearest of most appropriate Internet-BITNET gateway.

>  I want to configure my mailer so that it sends all BITNET mail to the
>correct address, rather than having to have my backbone do it.

 There is no 'correct address'.  There are many Internet-Bitnet gateways, and
the number is steadily increasing.  I suppose the most appropriate is to
send to the Internet gateway nearest the destination, if known, and otherwise
to the gateway nearest to you.  Since you seem to be a UUCP site, and
presumably forward mail via UUCP to an Internet site, it is best to allow the
Internet site to choose the gateway.

> So... I need to know how mail is addressed to Interbit..
>
>    Is it:
>
>        user%node@interbit

 Mail addressed this way will very likely bounce.  Many sites have their MTAs
configured to handle 'user@node.BITNET'.  If the site you forward mail through
does not support this, you should be asking the Postmaster there what they
do support.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940