[comp.mail.misc] Prodigy gateway?

rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) (04/22/91)

>Does anybody know of a prodigy gateway?

>-Mike

Prodigy sucks, sucks, SUCKS!  It's not on the net, and I
imagine that the administrators of Prodigy wouldn't like to
contaminate their little haven with the internet (it's documented
that they read and censor user's mail).

-Rich
--
-------------
rauscher@rutgers.edu                RPO 5997 PO 5063, New Brunswick, NJ 08903

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (04/22/91)

 rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu writes:
>>Does anybody know of a prodigy gateway?
>
>Prodigy sucks, sucks, SUCKS!  It's not on the net, and I
>imagine that the administrators of Prodigy wouldn't like to
>contaminate their little haven with the internet (it's documented
>that they read and censor user's mail).

   Wouldn't "No, Prodigy doesn't want outside connections" have been a
  little more, oh, *polite* ?

   As for their censorship, it's documented that they read & censor
  the POSTS of users on their bulletin boards; claiming they censor
  the mail is a rather volatile statement.

Brendan

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>   As for their censorship, it's documented that they read & censor
>  the POSTS of users on their bulletin boards; claiming they censor
>  the mail is a rather volatile statement.

Volatile as it might be, it is true.  Right before Prodigy started charging
people for mail (this was largely because many of companies that had
accounts on the system were constantly mass mailing the other users)
several users were having a conversation about how they were going to
give up their accounts and seek connections elsewhere.  The Prodigy
gods deemed this conversation bad for business and stopped its thread.
This episode was relayed to me by a Prodigy user when I was collecting
information about privacy voilations and email.  (BTW I'll have a
summary of those replies ASAP.)

Call me crazy, but I am thoroughly disgusted when I hear of *any*
system where privacy and censorship of email is allowed.  I'm hoping
to see stronger case-law and legislation to protect users' rights
soon.

-Rich
--
-------------

rbv@cypress.UUCP (Roger Vanderveen) (04/26/91)

In article <Apr.22.09.32.11.1991.3650@remus.rutgers.edu> rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) writes:
>brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>>   As for their censorship, it's documented that they read & censor
>>  the POSTS of users on their bulletin boards; claiming they censor
>>  the mail is a rather volatile statement.
>
>Call me crazy, but I am thoroughly disgusted when I hear of *any*
>system where privacy and censorship of email is allowed.  I'm hoping
>to see stronger case-law and legislation to protect users' rights
>soon.

OK, you're crazy.

Like I'm told by completely-free-speech-advocates when I don't like
the content of TV shows: just change the channel, you don't have to
watch it!

Funny how some people are dead set against government regulation,
until it suits their purposes.

Roger Vanderveen                                    rbv@cypress.UUCP or
San Jose, CA USA                                    rbv%cypress@daver.bungi.com
The Left is no different from The Right; only the things they're intolerant of.

rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) (04/29/91)

rbv@cypress.UUCP (Roger Vanderveen) writes:
>Call me crazy, but I am thoroughly disgusted when I hear of *any*
>system where privacy and censorship of email is allowed.  I'm hoping
>to see stronger case-law and legislation to protect users' rights
>soon.

>OK, you're crazy.

>Like I'm told by completely-free-speech-advocates when I don't like
>the content of TV shows: just change the channel, you don't have to
>watch it!

>Funny how some people are dead set against government regulation,
>until it suits their purposes.

Perhaps you don't mind when sysadmin's read your mail; perhaps it
wouldn't mean anything to you if were to lose your job because
you were caught saying things that were "against the company" in
your mail.  Further more, how does it possibly "suit my purposes"
to have this sort of regulation?

As for the TV show analogy, what world are you living in?  There is NO
similarity.  I completely agree about that sort of thing; when people
complain about music, movies and such.  What I'm talking about is
a user's right to privacy on the system, and in fact, does he/she have
any?

Censoring email is analogous to having your boss listen to your
phone line.  I suppose that you wouldn't mind if he/she did that, eh?

-Rich
--