[comp.mail.misc] Syntax for execmail

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/25/91)

I need to know the syntax for the /usr/lib/mail/execmail program on SCO
Unix Sys V 3.2.2.  I am trying to modify a shell script supplied with NN
as a recmail replacement so that it will work with execmail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (04/27/91)

According to chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki):
>I need to know the syntax for the /usr/lib/mail/execmail program on SCO
>Unix Sys V 3.2.2.

[The UNIX mail system has already been hacked by Chip Salzenberg and
Chip Rosenthal, and now we have Chip Yamasaki.  I can't wait for the
next episode of "As The Chips Accumulate..."]

I suggest that all users of the SCO E-Mail system remove it and
replace it with Smail 3.1, which can be found on uunet.uu.net as
~/mail/smail3.1.20.Z.

Failing that, here's the syntax of >XENIX< execmail (if you use UNIX,
your mileage may vary):

/usr/lib/mail/execmail [-m] [-f x] [-n] [-r] [-h #] address...
	-m      metoo
	-f x    from "x"
	-n      noalias
	-r      remote  ("!" instead of ":")
	-h #    max hop count (default=20)

--
Brand X Industries Custodial, Refurbishing and Containment Service:
         When You Never, Ever Want To See It Again [tm]

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/28/91)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
> I need to know the syntax for the /usr/lib/mail/execmail program on SCO
> Unix Sys V 3.2.2.  I am trying to modify a shell script supplied with NN
> as a recmail replacement so that it will work with execmail.

If it's really SCO Unix, not SCO Xenix, use the submit(C) program that
comes with MMDF.  It's /usr/mmdf/bin/submit, I believe, and there's a
full man page detailing how to use it.  (Under SCO Unix, I think
/usr/lib/mail/execmail is just a front-end for submit that the Micnet
stuff uses.  I wish they'd drop their Micnet support; I don't think
anybody uses it anymore, and it tends to interfere with other
networking stuff.)

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (04/28/91)

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>[The UNIX mail system has already been hacked by Chip Salzenberg and
>Chip Rosenthal, and now we have Chip Yamasaki.  I can't wait for the
>next episode of "As The Chips Accumulate..."]

Or, how much its gets screwed up, in which case we'll just "let the
chips fall where they may...."

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / Since I *OWN* SBS.COM,
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  These Opinions Generally

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/28/91)

In <F9w311w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>> I need to know the syntax for the /usr/lib/mail/execmail program on SCO
>> Unix Sys V 3.2.2.  I am trying to modify a shell script supplied with NN
>> as a recmail replacement so that it will work with execmail.

>If it's really SCO Unix, not SCO Xenix, use the submit(C) program that
>comes with MMDF.  It's /usr/mmdf/bin/submit, I believe, and there's a
>full man page detailing how to use it.  (Under SCO Unix, I think
>/usr/lib/mail/execmail is just a front-end for submit that the Micnet
>stuff uses.  I wish they'd drop their Micnet support; I don't think
>anybody uses it anymore, and it tends to interfere with other
>networking stuff.)

Yeah, but I have Elm using execmail and would like to have both of the
mailer plugged in at the same spot.  Execmail seems to add come headers
that submit doesn't.  And furthermore, submit was giving me some
permissions problems.  I have read (right here in this group) that the
problem with permissions is a SCO installation bug and that it can be
cleared up by correcting permissions according to the report produced by
checkup.

Still, the execmail program is also in the Xenix mail system on many
other computers we have here and I would like to know exactly how to use
it.
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

In <2818BAD5.20CB@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>[The UNIX mail system has already been hacked by Chip Salzenberg and
>Chip Rosenthal, and now we have Chip Yamasaki.  I can't wait for the
>next episode of "As The Chips Accumulate..."]

Sorry 'bout the name.  I'll be sure to have it changed.  I always
thought it sounded a little too much like a member of a Frat-Pack Polo
club anyhow (no, I don't have any Izod shirts). :-)

>I suggest that all users of the SCO E-Mail system remove it and
>replace it with Smail 3.1, which can be found on uunet.uu.net as
>~/mail/smail3.1.20.Z.

Well, I'm quite happy with MMDF on my Unix system, but wanted to plug my
mail UAs into the same place in the MTA that I do on the Xenix system.
The Xenix system is not worth the time and effort to put up smail
because it will be Unix soon.

>Failing that, here's the syntax of >XENIX< execmail (if you use UNIX,
>your mileage may vary):

Many thanks!
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/29/91)

In <1991Apr28.012530.11479@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>>[The UNIX mail system has already been hacked by Chip Salzenberg and
>>Chip Rosenthal, and now we have Chip Yamasaki.  I can't wait for the
>>next episode of "As The Chips Accumulate..."]

>Or, how much its gets screwed up, in which case we'll just "let the
>chips fall where they may...."

Ooooooo. . ., that one goes in the bit-bucket.
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

guest@geech.ai.mit.edu (Guest Account) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.062615.3907@osh3.OSHA.GOV> chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

   Sorry 'bout the name.  I'll be sure to have it changed.  I always
   thought it sounded a little too much like a member of a Frat-Pack Polo
   club anyhow (no, I don't have any Izod shirts). :-)

CHIP IS HIP.

---CHIP CHIPPENDALE

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (04/30/91)

|I suggest that all users of the SCO E-Mail system remove it and
|replace it with Smail 3.1, which can be found on uunet.uu.net as
|~/mail/smail3.1.20.Z.

I suggest that users carefully consider their needs, and then choose
the most appropriate MTA.  If you want support, stick with MMDF, and
nothing (well maybe PP) beats it for authorization control, and it's
pretty gentle on heavily loaded systems, and ...

All MTAs have their advantages and disadvantages, blind allegiance is
probably not wise.  This is not intended as a flame, merely another
opinion. :-)