[comp.mail.misc] Looking for The Well

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/26/91)

[In article <1991Apr24.144725.29983@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
     huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) writes ... ]

> I'm trying to communicate with "The Well."  I've tried whois,
> searched my FTP and Internet lists and find no reference.  The
> sad thing is I know they exist; I saw their address just a week ago.
>
> Does anybody know the address of The Well?

I think the domain address is well.sf.ca.us.

Don't expect to find an Internet number for everybody who has a domain
address. The mail network, the Usenet and the Internet are three sets
that overlap but are not identical.

Last I knew, you could connect with The WELL (Whole Earth 'Lectronic
Link) by dialing your local SprintNet (Telenet) phone number and typing
"connect well" at the prompt. That information might be out of date,
though.

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) (05/01/91)

In article <A2606962329@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I think the domain address is well.sf.ca.us.

Correctaroonie!  At least, good enough for email.

>Last I knew, you could connect with The WELL (Whole Earth 'Lectronic
>Link) by dialing your local SprintNet (Telenet) phone number and typing
>"connect well" at the prompt. That information might be out of date,
>though.

Yes, it's out of date.  Telenet raised their connect charges, so the WELL
switched to CPN, Compuserve's packet-switching network.  Yep, you can
dial your local Compuserve number and logon to the WELL by typing "WELL"
as the host name.  Of course, you then have to get an account there;
you can do so by following the instructions at the login prompt.

If someone wants to login directly, the 1200 baud hunt group is based
at 415-332-6106, and the 2400 baud hunt group is based at 415-332-7398
as of about two weeks ago.  There is a Telebit hunt group, but I don't
recall what its base number is.

Bob Murphy
bobert@autodesk.com
bobert@well.sf.ca.us