[comp.mail.misc] Questions about E-Mail for the non-techies

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/30/91)

We are in the process of setting up a large E-Mail system and the
primary users will be very non-technical people on a couple hundred
Xenix systems throughout the country.

We are going to use UUCP to connect the systems and will use some kind
of RFC822 compliant mail system like MMDF II or sendmail for the MTA and
something like Elm for the UA.

There are several problems we have yet to work out, mostly in the areas
of policy.  Remember that the users here are mostly very naive in the
field of Xenix/Unix and VERY non-technical.

We have a need to respond to mail directed at functional areas of
responsibility rather than actual users.  There are two approaches here.
Set up aliases mapping names for the functional areas to users (as is
often done with Postmaster), or create actual mailboxes or logins for
these areas and have people responsible for checking them.

A manager here says that we should set up mailboxes or logins because
when people move or take vacation (and I know they do) someone will
forget to correct the alias and the mail will go unanswered.

I maintain that if the user, who is not very used to mail in the first
place, does not get a message on the screen saying that mail is there
they will forget to check anyhow.

Which approach is better?

Any responses on this or other concerns that experienced E-Mail
implementers might be able to think of would be very welcome.

Also, if anyone has a "how to" reference, either text or interesting
book, concerning this type of thing I would appreciate it.  I feel
comfortable with the Xenix/Unix mail system and whatnot,  I just don't
know much about what to look out for in the way of E-Mail for the
"technically disadvantaged" *.

---
PS-Technically Disadvantaged is a term from a Netter.  I don't have the
   name of the person who coined this term or I would give proper
   attribution.
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

In article <1991Apr30.160250.14572@osh3.OSHA.GOV> chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:

>We are in the process of setting up a large E-Mail system and the
>primary users will be very non-technical people on a couple hundred
>Xenix systems throughout the country.

>We are going to use UUCP to connect the systems and will use some kind
>of RFC822 compliant mail system like MMDF II or sendmail for the MTA and
>something like Elm for the UA.

Smail3 would also be a good choice for the MTA.   Elm is pretty easy
to use as mailers go, although I wish it had a way to attach files
to messages.  I'd recommend that you try to keep the aliasing
done mostly at the transport level, though.

>We have a need to respond to mail directed at functional areas of
>responsibility rather than actual users.  There are two approaches here.
>Set up aliases mapping names for the functional areas to users (as is
>often done with Postmaster), or create actual mailboxes or logins for
>these areas and have people responsible for checking them.

Yet another choice would be to set up the news software (or notes) with
local groups representing the different areas.  Whether this would be
appropriate would depend on the need for privacy and the amount of
overlap between groups.  It wouldn't completely eliminate the need
for mailing lists but it might reduce the load (at the expense of
forcing the users to learn a second interface).  The software exists
to gateway between news and mailing lists, so you can mix the
two according to the preference at the end points.

>A manager here says that we should set up mailboxes or logins because
>when people move or take vacation (and I know they do) someone will
>forget to correct the alias and the mail will go unanswered.
>
>I maintain that if the user, who is not very used to mail in the first
>place, does not get a message on the screen saying that mail is there
>they will forget to check anyhow.

It's not that difficult to get notification about multiple mailboxes,
but I'd say that making the end user do extra work to answer the
mail is the wrong approach, unless the volume is so large that
keeping it separate is an advantage.  If I got 3 messages a day, I
wouldn't want to have to read 3 different mailboxes, but for 100
or more I wouldn't mind having them separated by topic.

I would start out using aliases/mailing lists to deliver individual
copies for all the group names to make the system easier to use
in the beginning.  If the volume gets out of hand, you can always
change how the lists are handled and by then the users will be able
to deal with it.  Even without the group mailboxes, you should have
a cron job that checks for old unread mail and notifies someone.
If at all possible, hide the machine names completely from the users.
This not only makes the system simpler from the users point of
view but it makes the machine management easier as well since you
can move the users around and add machines as needed and you only
have to update the alias list.  For this to work, you either need
an automated way to propagate the alias list to all machines when
you change it or a set of backbone machines that receive all mail
that can't be resolved locally by the others, or both.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us