[comp.mail.misc] proper gateway syntax

larry@abtlabs (Larry Pajakowski) (04/30/91)

I'm setting up a mail gateway to our internal system.  How should we
advertise our gateway syntax?

I gather from reading that the '%' used by CSNET is not considered the most
desireable syntax.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry Pajakowski
Abbott Labs
uunet!abtlabs!larry

In article <1991Apr30.160346.15825@abbott.com> larry@abtlabs (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
>I'm setting up a mail gateway to our internal system.  How should we
>advertise our gateway syntax?

>I gather from reading that the '%' used by CSNET is not considered the most
>desireable syntax.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only thing you can count on to work everywhere is a registered internet
style domain name using subdomain names for internal resolution.

>uunet!abtlabs!larry

If you are a uunet subscriber already, they will handle the details at
no extra cost.  Send mail to  uunet!postmaster requesting their
domain registration form.  If you have a domain name for your
gateway machine and you want to know how to address other internal
machines, as long as you have a wildcard MX (you should if uunet is
doing it) and your gateway machine knows how to resolve it,
subdomains in the form machine.domain should work without any
additional setup.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us