[comp.mail.misc] mail interface for Mac oan PC

jgb@bosco.dit.upm.es (04/29/91)

	I have now some Unix machines connected to Internet mail. On
the same ethernet, I have a lot of Macs and some PCs connected with
NFS on TCP/IP. And I's like to give e-mail service to the people
who use to work on them. I'm thinking in something like a program running
in PCs and Macs (with the proper look-and-feel), but using the Unix
mail files residing in a Unix machine (exported via NFS). But any
othe solutions will be apreciated.

	And I have the same problem (thougth not so urgent) with giving
them Usenet News service.

	If you have any idea, comment or help, please contact me. Thanks
in advance,

		Jesus.

Jesus M Gonzalez
jgb@dit.upm.es (weekly)
jgb@p500ad.es (daily)

klox@otago.ac.nz (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.133644.24219@dit.upm.es>, jgb@bosco.dit.upm.es writes:

> 	I have now some Unix machines connected to Internet mail. On
> the same ethernet, I have a lot of Macs and some PCs connected with
> NFS on TCP/IP. And I's like to give e-mail service to the people
> who use to work on them. I'm thinking in something like a program running
> in PCs and Macs (with the proper look-and-feel), but using the Unix
> mail files residing in a Unix machine (exported via NFS). But any
> othe solutions will be apreciated.

Take a look at Pegasus Mail with the Cahron gateway. Pc version out now,
Mac version now in alpha test. David is still trying to work out how to
do news.

KLox

makmur@ug-micro.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr29.133644.24219@dit.upm.es> jgb@bosco.dit.upm.es writes:

>        I have now some Unix machines connected to Internet mail. On
>the same ethernet, I have a lot of Macs and some PCs connected with
>NFS on TCP/IP. And I's like to give e-mail service to the people
>who use to work on them. I'm thinking in something like a program running
>in PCs and Macs (with the proper look-and-feel), but using the Unix
>mail files residing in a Unix machine (exported via NFS). But any
>othe solutions will be apreciated.

You can solve this problem really easily from the Mac side with a program
called:
Eudora. It is really good and works just like you want . On a PC, ... that is
another story....I have to make one up first.

>        And I have the same problem (thougth not so urgent) with giving
>them Usenet News service.

News Service can also be done really easily on a Mac. I am writing this news
from My Mac using a program called theNews. It is shareware and a site license
really cheap.
less then US $800. or $25/copy.

Both programs can be obtained from infomac at sumex or any infomac archive
locations

Have fun with the Macs stuff... and dont have nightmares with the PC stuff...
it will
show up eventually in the year 3001.
----
Hanz Makmur