[comp.mail.misc] e-mail to IBM France, is it possible?

cncole@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Noah Cole) (05/03/91)

I have a friend (my father) who works at IBM in Southern France (La Goude), nearNice.  I know that IBM has an extensive network, but that most of it is internaldue to problems a few years ago.  But, I have seen posts from people in NY that work for IBM with something like john@IBM.com as their addresses. This shows that the system may not be all closed, as I previously thought. Does anyone have any information regaerding this? Anything would be helpfull. Thanks in advance-

Noah
--
Noah Cole.		(802)-785-4124
cncole@u2.dartmouth.edu

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/03/91)

In <1991May2.191829.9430@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> cncole@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Noah Cole) writes:

>I have a friend (my father) who works at IBM in Southern France (La
>Goude), nearNice.  I know that IBM has an extensive network, but that
>most of it is internaldue to problems a few years ago.  But, I have seen
>posts from people in NY that work for IBM with something like
>john@IBM.com as their addresses.  This shows that the system may not be
>all closed, as I previously thought.  Does anyone have any information
>regaerding this? Anything would be helpfull.  Thanks in advance-

I pulled this from the uucp maps (u.fra.2), hope it helps!

  ::::::::::::::
  u.fra.2
  ::::::::::::::
  #N	ibmfr
  #S	Risc System/6000 modele 320
  #O	I.B.M. France
  #C	Mr. Brice Muang-Khot, Mr. Francois Riche
  #E	bmk@ibmfr.uucp, riche@ibmfr.uucp
  #T	+33 1 49 05 72 20, +33 1 49 05 82 04
  #P	Service 3837, Tour Descartes, F-92066 Paris-la-Defense CEDEX 50
  #L	48 53 N / 2 15 E
  #R      registration in progress
  #W      created: inria!girodon 901022, last-mods
  #
  ibmfr   .ibm.fr
  ibmfr = ibmfr.ibm.fr
:::::::::::::::
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

normdec@VNET.IBM.COM (Norm deCarteret 438-3994, 813-878-) (05/04/91)

In a word, yes.  There is a VNET-Internet Gateway for mail with a simple
automated registration system. You can send a note to nic@vnet.ibm.com
to find out if someone is already registered to send/receive mail
(in the body of the note, ask "whois username"  ... don't include quotes).
An IBMer can send a note via VNET to NIC at IINUS1 and say GET HOWTO INTERNET
to get enrollment instructions (GET is not supported from the Internet side).
Hope this helps, Norm

logan@torag.uucp (Scott I. Logan) (05/04/91)

Any regular IBM Employee, with his manager's approval, can gain access to
"Corporate Internet Gateway" (iinus1.ibm.com, aka vnet.ibm.com).  That
allows them to send and receive mail (only) to or from any external address.

Contact me if you (or your Dad) need further information about how to get
started.

Scott Logan                                                logan@torag.uucp
Definitely *not* speaking for IBM!            silogan@torolab5.vnet.ibm.com